Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2008/04/25 14:55:07 UTC

[Studio] Renaming 1.1.0 branch to 1.1.x

Hi,

I'd like to propose a renaming of the "1.1.0" branch (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/) to
"1.1.x" (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.x/).

This branch is (and will be) used to prepare the minor (service) revisions
for the 1.1.0 release and, as the 1.1.0 version is out now, I think it makes
no longer sense to name it 1.1.0.

Any objection?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [Studio] Renaming 1.1.0 branch to 1.1.x

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Our general strategy up to this point has been to create a GA branch
> like 1.1 to apply bug fixes on that branch.  From there you release
> bug fix releases like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, ... 1.1.N.  The 1.1 name implies
> the same as 1.1.x.

Jörg Schaible has an important point here : Maven won't be able to make
a difference between 1.1 and 1.1.1 (it will take 1.1.1 instead of 1.1,
because 1.1 = 1.1.0)

So the released version should be named 1.1.0. Then every further
revision will be named 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc... and every working revision
will be pointed by a 1.1.x-SNAPSHOT on the working branch.

Not sure if I'm clear, but Jörg is, for sure :)

> HTH,
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com
> <ma...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Apr 25, 2008, at 6:03 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>         Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I'd like to propose a renaming of the "1.1.0" branch
>             (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/)
>             to "1.1.x"
>             (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.x/).
>
>             This branch is (and will be) used to prepare the minor
>             (service) revisions for the 1.1.0 release and, as the
>             1.1.0 version is out now, I think it makes no longer sense
>             to name it 1.1.0. <http://1.1.0.> <http://1.1.0.>
>
>             Any objection?
>
>         rename it to 1.1.1, so that we all know which version is being
>         baked.
>

>     Another strategy is to name it 1.1, and have the version either
>     stay at 1.1-SNAPSHOT (till the end of time) or 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT and
>     update it after every release.  I don't think renaming the branch
>     after every release will improve the ease of svn archeaology
>     should someone want to examine past history.
>
>     thanks
>     david jencks
>

>             Thanks,
>             Pierre-Arnaud
>

>         --
>         --
>         cordialement, regards,
>         Emmanuel Lécharny
>         www.iktek.com <http://www.iktek.com>
>         directory.apache.org <http://directory.apache.org>

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Renaming 1.1.0 branch to 1.1.x

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Our general strategy up to this point has been to create a GA branch like
1.1 to apply bug fixes on that branch.  From there you release bug fix
releases like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, ... 1.1.N.  The 1.1 name implies the same as
1.1.x.  It would be nice to use the same technique across our projects
regardless of what is chosen.

This keeps it so history shows your bug fixes on that branch since it was
copied over from the trunk.  I can do a svn log --stop-on-copy and see all
the bug fixes that took place across releases on that branch.

The trunk is always the bleeding edge unless of course you have some
experimental branches or big bang like work that may cause breakage.

HTH,
Alex

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Hi David,

David Jencks wrote:

[snip]

> Another strategy is to name it 1.1, and have the version either stay
> at 1.1-SNAPSHOT (till the end of time)

not the best idea, since 1.1-SNAPSHOT means implicitly 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT. If Maven has to resolve a transitive dep and one has 1.1-SNAPSHOT and the other one is e.g. 1.1.1 the latter will win. I.e. even if you already working towards release 1.1.42, 1.1.1 will stil be selected. Learned this the hard way too ;-)

> or 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT and
> update it
> after every release.

Therefore this is the better solution.

[snip]

Just my 2c,
Jörg

Re: [Studio] Renaming 1.1.0 branch to 1.1.x

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose a renaming of the "1.1.0" branch
> (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/) to
> "1.1.x"
> (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.x/).
>
> This branch is (and will be) used to prepare the minor (service)
> revisions for the 1.1.0 release and, as the 1.1.0 version is out now,
> I think it makes no longer sense to name it 1.1.0. <http://1.1.0.>
>
> Any objection?
rename it to 1.1.1, so that we all know which version is being baked.

> Thanks,
> Pierre-Arnaud

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny