Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2011/12/23 01:22:04 UTC

ANN: The third hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download

The third hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download:

 http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.92.0-candidate-2/

I've posted a secure and an insecure tarball built by jenkins.

This RC bundles hadoop 1.0.0rc3 and zookeeper 3.4.2rc0.

As said previous, HBase 0.92.0 includes a raft of new features
including: coprocessors, security, a new (self-migrating) file format,
distributed log splitting, etc.  There's been > 600 fixes since 0.90.
See the list here: http://su.pr/1VZzl5

See the hbase manual for the low-down on what hadoop version this
release will run on: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hadoop

There is no migration necessary.  A shutdown and restart after putting
in place the new HBase should be all thats involved (A rolling restart
from 0.90.x to 0.92.0 will not work).  That said, once you have moved
to 0.92.x, there is no going back to 0.90.x after the transition has
been made.

Should we release this candidate as hbase 0.92.0?  Take it for a spin.
Check out the doc.  Vote +1/-1 by January 3rd, 2012.

Happy Holidays.
Yours,
The HBasistas

P.S. If you are thinking of going to 0.92 anytime soon, help us out w/
the testing if you can.  This period while we are putting up release
candidates is the best time for trying stuff out because if you find
an ugly bug, it'll be fixed pretty tout de suite

Re: ANN: The third hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> Now that both Hadoop 1.0 and ZK 3.4.2 have been released I think we
> should ship with them.

+1

> Apart from that I'm +1. I even let a LoadTester job run on my 15 nodes
> during the holidays (287 hours now) and it's still crushing my cluster
> as much as it did in the beginning without any failure.

+1 too, I had a secure test cluster up over the holiday and it was fine until HDFS was ~95% full. :-)

I may have found an issue with how scanner leases are removed and reinstalled in next() with very large regions and slow servers (EC2...) but I haven't been able to recreate the circumstances so don't feel I understand it sufficiently, and anyway this was something seen in a crazy test case.

Best regards,

- Andy

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
+1 On the Tips and Tricks section in Troubleshooting idea.

I'd like to keep the FAQ higher-level to point people to the right
chapters but not clutter it with too much detail.

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
>> even if we label it as an alpha initially for 0.92.0
With 0.90 stable release present, I doubt many people would want to try out
an alpha 0.92 release.

My feeling about 0.92 release is ambivalent. On the one hand, I want to see
the release of 0.92.0 since we have all put so much energy into it. On the
other hand, I would like 0.92.0 to reach Beta quality.

I suggest getting HBASE-5081 and HBASE-5120 into the next 0.92 RC.

Cheers

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I'm not convinced this should be a blocker, the TM is effectively
disabled in 0.90 and up until Ram brought back the subject it was
going to be the same in 0.92.0. HBASE-5120 happens only when you run
with the TM.

My opinion is that:

- If 5120 is easy to fix and there's no other obvious bug lurking in
the TM, we should get 5119/20 into 0.92.0
- If it's not, either punt to a later bug fix release or 0.94

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> I am similarly concerned about the deadlocks in distributed log splitting
> that Jimmy and Prakash have been working on.

> If distributed long splitting is off by default, I'm +1.

This seems reasonable.

It's going to take some time to shake out all the corner cases.

Best regards,

  - Andy

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.