Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/18 02:10:09 UTC

dfs.name.dir capacity for namenode backup?

I am considering to use a machine to save a
redundant copy of HDFS metadata through setting dfs.name.dir in hdfs-site.xml like this (as in YDN):

<property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/home/hadoop/dfs/name,/mnt/namenode-backup</value>
    <final>true</final>
</property>

where the two folders are on different machines so that /mnt/namenode-backup keeps a copy of hdfs file system information and its machine can be used to replace the first machine that fails as namenode.

So, my question is how big this hdfs metatdata will consume? I guess it is proportional to the hdfs capacity. What ratio is that or what size will be for 150TB hdfs?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: dfs.name.dir capacity for namenode backup?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Yes, we recommend at least one local directory and one NFS directory for
dfs.name.dir in production environments. This allows an up-to-date recovery
of NN metadata if the NN should fail. In future versions the BackupNode
functionality will move us one step closer to not needing NFS for production
deployments.

Note that the NFS directory does not need to be anything fancy - you can
simply use an NFS mount on another normal Linux box.

-Todd

Posted by Andrew Nguyen <an...@ucsfcti.org>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.