Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Joel Samuelsson <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/23 15:08:47 UTC

Nodes go down periodically

Our nodes go down periodically, around 1-2 times each day. Downtime is from
<1 second to 30 or so seconds.

INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-22 10:05:14,896 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /109.74.13.67 is now DOWN
 INFO [RequestResponseStage:8844] 2016-02-22 10:05:38,331 Gossiper.java
(line 978) InetAddress /109.74.13.67 is now UP

I find nothing odd in the logs around the same time. I logged a ping with
timestamp and checked during the same time and saw nothing weird (ping is
less than 2ms at all times).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might happen?

Best regards,
Joel

Re: Nodes go down periodically

Posted by Joel Samuelsson <sa...@gmail.com>.
"Is it only one node at a time that goes down, and at widely dispersed
times?"
It is a two node cluster so both nodes consider the other node down at the
same time.

These are the times the latest few days:
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-19 05:06:21,087 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-19 14:33:38,424 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-20 07:21:25,626 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-20 11:34:46,766 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-21 08:00:07,518 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-21 10:36:58,788 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-22 07:10:40,304 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-22 10:05:14,896 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-23 08:59:05,392 Gossiper.java (line 992)
InetAddress /x.x.x.x is now DOWN
INFO [GossipTasks:1] 2016-02-23 12:22:59,562 Gossiper.java (line 992)

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.
If you can, do a few (short, maybe 10m records, delete the default schema
between executions) run of Cassandra Stress test against your production
cluster (replication=3, force quorum to 3). Look for latency max in the 10s
of SECONDS. If your devops team is running a monitoring tool that looks at
the network, look for timeout/retries/errors/lost packets, etc. during the
run (worst case you need to do netstats runs against the relevant nic e.g.
every 10 seconds on the CassStress node, look for jumps in this count (if
monitoring is enabled, look at the monitor's results for ALL of your nodes.
At least one is having some issues.

*.......*

*Daemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA (+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Samuelsson <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by SE...@homedepot.com.