Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "epayne@apache.org" <ep...@apache.org> on 2020/01/09 17:33:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Guidelines for Code cleanup JIRAs

There was some discussion on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-9052
about concerns surrounding the costs/benefits of code cleanup JIRAs. This email
is to get the discussion going within a wider audience.

The positive points for code cleanup JIRAs:
- Clean up tech debt
- Make code more readable
- Make code more maintainable
- Make code more performant

The concerns regarding code cleanup JIRAs are as follows:
- If the changes only go into trunk, then contributors and committers trying to
 backport to prior releases will have to create and test multiple patch versions.
- Some have voiced concerns that code cleanup JIRAs may not be tested as
  thoroughly as features and bug fixes because functionality is not supposed to
  change.
- Any patches awaiting review that are touching the same code will have to be
  redone, re-tested, and re-reviewed.
- JIRAs that are opened for code cleanup and not worked on right away tend to
  clutter up the JIRA space.

Here are my opinions:
- Code changes of any kind force a non-trivial amount of overhead for other
  developers. For code cleanup JIRAs, sometimes the usability, maintainability,
  and performance is worth the overhead (as in the case of YARN-9052).
- Before opening any JIRA, please always consider whether or not the added
  usability will outweigh the added pain you are causing other developers.
- If you believe the benefits outweigh the costs, please backport the changes
  yourself to all active lines. My preference is to port all the way back to 2.10.
- Please don't run code analysis tools and then open many JIRAs that document
  those findings. That activity does not put any thought into this cost-benefit
  analysis.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I appreciate all you do
for the open source community and it is always a pleasure to work with you.
-Eric Payne

Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] Guidelines for Code cleanup JIRAs

Posted by Nandakumar Vadivelu <nv...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Guidelines for Code cleanup JIRAs

Posted by Shashikant Banerjee <sb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

Thanks
Shashi