Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by 廖兰宇 <18...@smail.nju.edu.cn> on 2022/09/15 02:21:20 UTC

How to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL

Hi everybody,

In 0.13/0.14, to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL, we support preceding the quote character by an escape character. However, recently we found that this could cause a problem described in issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-4236. We refer to the grammar of presto/trino/sqlite and we think that it is better that we do not support preceding the quote character by an escape character in STRING_LITERAL. If you want to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL:

A&nbsp;'&nbsp;inside a string quoted with&nbsp;'&nbsp;may be written as&nbsp;''.

A&nbsp;"&nbsp;inside a string quoted with&nbsp;"&nbsp;may be written as&nbsp;"".

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Best,

------------------------------------

Lanyu Liao

School of Software, Tsinghua University

廖兰宇

清华大学 软件学院

Re: How to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL

Posted by 廖兰宇 <18...@smail.nju.edu.cn>.
Sorry I did not notice that Apache mailing list only supports plain text format. Thanks for reminding me of this. I have rewritten what I tried to claim.

In 0.13/0.14, to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL, we support preceding the quote character by an escape character. However, recently we found that this could cause a problem described in issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-4236. We refer to the grammar of presto/trino/sqlite and we think that it is better that we do not support preceding the quote character by an escape character in STRING_LITERAL. If you want to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL:

1. A ' inside a string quoted with ' may be written as '' .

2. A " inside a string quoted with "&nbsp;may be written as "" .

The use of it could be found at https://iotdb.apache.org/zh/UserGuide/Master/Reference/Syntax-Conventions.html

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Best,

------------------------------------

Lanyu Liao

School of Software, Tsinghua University

廖兰宇

清华大学 软件学院

&nbsp;
&nbsp;
------------------&nbsp;Original&nbsp;------------------
From: &nbsp;"Xiangdong&amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Huang"<sainthxd@gmail.com&gt;;
Date: &nbsp;Sat, Oct 1, 2022 02:26 PM
To: &nbsp;"dev"<dev@iotdb.apache.org&gt;;

Subject: &nbsp;Re: How to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL

&nbsp;

Hi Lanyu,

PLS PAY ATTENTION that your email format is incorrect. (Notice that
the apache mailing list only supports plain text format).
It is impossible to understand what you want to claim.

-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

廖兰宇 <181250082@smail.nju.edu.cn&gt; 于2022年9月15日周四 10:21写道:
&gt;
&gt; Hi everybody,
&gt;
&gt; In 0.13/0.14, to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL, we support preceding the quote character by an escape character. However, recently we found that this could cause a problem described in issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IOTDB-4236. We refer to the grammar of presto/trino/sqlite and we think that it is better that we do not support preceding the quote character by an escape character in STRING_LITERAL. If you want to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL:
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; A&amp;nbsp;'&amp;nbsp;inside a string quoted with&amp;nbsp;'&amp;nbsp;may be written as&amp;nbsp;''.
&gt;
&gt; A&amp;nbsp;"&amp;nbsp;inside a string quoted with&amp;nbsp;"&amp;nbsp;may be written as&amp;nbsp;"".
&gt;
&gt; Any comments would be much appreciated.
&gt;
&gt; Best,
&gt;
&gt; ------------------------------------
&gt;
&gt; Lanyu Liao
&gt;
&gt; School of Software, Tsinghua University
&gt;
&gt; 廖兰宇
&gt;
&gt; 清华大学 软件学院

Re: How to use quotation marks in STRING_LITERAL

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lanyu,

廖兰宇 <18...@smail.nju.edu.cn> 于2022年9月15日周四 10:21写道: