Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/01/15 09:34:26 UTC

Solutions Hamburg 2018

Hi all,

I just wanted to feed back to you some things we managed to arrange for this year.

After our first attempt to co-locate with another conference at last year’s Solutions Hamburg, I had a meeting with the organizer of the conference in Hamburg last Wednesday. Based on our experience from last year we did notice, that people unfamiliar with Open-Source didn’t show the interest in soft-topics such as “Apache Way” and how we do Open-Source at Apache, but did show interest in Open-Source in direct discussions. We came to the conclusion that for spreading the word about Apache and how we do Open-Source a booth would be better.

And that’s what we are being offered by Silpion this year. They are offering us the following package:

  *   A shared half day track we will be sharing with an Open-Source lobby organization “OSB Alliance” (Probably 2 talks with 45 minutes each)
  *   A Keynote in the main lobby of the conference
  *   A 3-day premium booth 2m x 2m including printing, setup all included (We have to provide the graphics and they take care of the printing)
     *   The booths will be setup like large “X”es where one booth is a 2x2m slice of the X. There we have 2 x “2x2,5m” walls we can have fully printed)
  *   The option for a second Keynote at an area handled by governmental-organisations (About 800-1200 attendees)

All that free of charge for the ASF.

My company was asked to become a commercial partner and would have to pay about the price of a middle-class car for the same package :-)

As Apache was the only organization that didn’t mess up and really appeared in person, we will be the ones in charge of everything and OSBA will be coordinating with us. I will be meeting with one of their representatives this Thursday.

Would be cool if we could come up with some ideas about what talks we want to have.

I would suggest something showing success-stories of how Apache is changing the World with what we do. Something that shows the effect on the IT world we are having and how we actually do it. We sort of have to catch the interest of the attendees by some practical stuff, some reports from the trenches.

We also need volunteers to staff the Apache Booth on one, some, all days of the conference: I would be willing to help on all days (with little gaps, if I get talks to the conference accepted).

If someone could do that, coming up with the 2 times 2x2,5m Images we should have on the walls of the booth, that would be awesome. Silpion said in the past, most companies only have their name and Logo printed on this, I think a colorful and flashy booth could attract more people.

Also, if someone is interested in being a Keynote Speaker at that conference (maybe a double keynote speaker), please raise your electronic hands or point to someone we could try to convince to come ;-)

So far, the update.

Chris

Re: Solutions Hamburg 2018

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi All,

So, I just had a meeting with Mr. Rösler from the OSBA and we talked about how we could thematically setup our shared half-day track.

OSBA seems to advocate usage of open source in governmental organizations and are more concentrated on products than technology. I did sense a general preference of a GPL concept, but I think I did manage to provide the good reasons, why a more liberal license does help adoption when it comes to technological “products”. They seem to employ a lobbyist that is trying to counteract the commercial companies’ lobbyists in Berlin in a quest to bring more open-source to the government in general and reduce the dependency on individual companies.

This is the general plot we came up with:

- Into (30 min):
o We set the stage for the track

- Open-Source’s heart is participation (40 min)
o Giving and getting back: Why giving can be rewarding
o Reasons for personal participation
o Reasons for commercial participation
• Open-Sourcing products
• Letting employees participate
• Providing commercial support

- Trust (40 min)
o Multiple-Eyes concept (open code)
o Availability of support
• Community
• Commercial
o Reduced unilateral dependency
o Protection against legal problems

- Open-Source: It’s not all the same (40 min)
o GPL vs Apache (From a license point of view)
o Eclipse vs Apache vs ? (From an organizational / community view)
o (GPL for Products / Apache for technology)?

- Wrap-Up (15 minutes)

We would share each block and provide about 50% of each block.
Providing practical examples is preferred over theoretical talks (Stories from the trenches).
Preference for German language, but not a requirement.
We would exchange our general abstracts with OSBA to allow preparing the track in a way that it fits together.

Track-Title: TBD but should be catchy and not boring.

Chris

Am 15.01.18, 10:54 schrieb "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org>:

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for your work on this, sounds like a great plan!

    On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Christofer Dutz
    <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
    > ...As Apache was the only organization that didn’t mess up and really appeared in person,..

    This is good to hear ;-)

    > ...Also, if someone is interested in being a Keynote Speaker at that conference (maybe a double keynote speaker),
    > please raise your electronic hands...

    It's September 12-14 in Hamburg, right? If that's correct I could do a
    keynote on general ASF things, preferably on the 13th or 14th. It
    looks like I'll be in Berlin earlier that week anyway.

    -Bertrand

Re: Solutions Hamburg 2018

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

just saw your reply … must have missed that when processing the flood of mail after my holidays ;-)

The day would be the 12th and the first half of the day. Would that still work?

Re: Solutions Hamburg 2018

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,