Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by fopit <le...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/30 16:03:01 UTC

Text rendering with FOP

Hello there

First of all, as english is not my natural tongue, i beg you to excuse
faults or nonsense that would eventually come.

I'm using FOP to create PDF from XML. Nothing particular, and it works
great.
But I also want to use it - and the same XSL-FO - to create a text from the
XML, a simple viewer of the PDF for final users, and there, problems begin :
it's like having a very size-limited buffer, only the beginning of my text
is render.

I read here and there that fop wasn't the best thing to do text-rendering,
but, really, I just want a viewer, nothing complicate or fancy.

So, I wonder, why do fop render me only the beginning of my text, and is
there anything to do to change that?

Thanks

Re: AW: AW: Text rendering with FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I think this is about FOP's text renderer, not RTF. I don't think it's
easily possible to use the same stylesheet for PDF and text output, as
the text output is quite restricted in what it can do, first because
text output has a much reduced resolution and it has to find the best
possible way to map characters to a text position in the output. That's
why the following page contains some hints what to do to improve the
chances of getting good text output:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#txt

Georg, RTF doesn't have no users. Actually, a surprisingly large number
of people use it. The thing is: it's not well maintained and there are
severe restrictions concerning what can be mapped from XSL-FO to RTF.
But that's not the same as "discontinuing RTF functionality". It's still
available and will remain so for now (with the current restrictions).

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Using FOP with JDeveloper 10g (was: Text rendering with FOP)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I don't know anything about JDeveloper but all you need to know to set
up the classpath in JDeveloper for running FOP is found here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/running.html

Calling FOP from Java is described here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/embedding.html
(at the bottom of that page you'll find example code)

On 01.10.2009 13:31:13 Tiku Ram Arya wrote:
> How can I configure the Apache FOP 0.95 on my JDeveloper 10g.
> Please provide sample java program to convert the XML file to PDF.
>
> Regards
> Tiku Ram Arya

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Text rendering with FOP

Re: Text rendering with FOP

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

paul womack wrote:
> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the way to go about that is to use a PDF post-processor that
>> would convert the PDF into plain text.
>
> Does this mean there's (implicitly) no way of using FOP
> to emulate tex/nroff, at least directly ?

As Jeremias pointed out there is a text renderer but it’s very limited.
Transforming the PDF output to text would probably give much better
results.

Vincent

Re: Text rendering with FOP

Posted by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk>.
Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the way to go about that is to use a PDF post-processor that
> would convert the PDF into plain text.

Does this mean there's (implicitly) no way of using FOP
to emulate tex/nroff, at least directly ?

    BugBear

Re: Text rendering with FOP

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think the way to go about that is to use a PDF post-processor that
would convert the PDF into plain text.

Checkout the pdftotext utility commonly found on Linux-based systems
(formerly developped within Xpdf [1], now taken over by Poppler [2]).

[1] http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html
[2] http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

Otherwise, typing “pdf to text” in your favourite web search engine
should give you plenty of results.

HTH,
Vincent

Posted by fopit <le...@gmail.com>.
No, really, plain-text file.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
No, it's not. I've already responded to that:
http://markmail.org/message/oluo5jv4mgt35ayk

On 01.10.2009 23:09:03 Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> Georg Datterl wrote:
> > Hi fopit,
> >
> > I see. Instead of rendering a pdf you want a text file. Or RTF? I think, I read something lately about discontinuing the rtf functionality because nobody uses it, but I leave the topic to the experts, since I only render to pdf.
>
> I really hope this is not true, XWiki relies on RTF support in FOP for
> exporting wiki documents as RTF.
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Jeremias Maerki

AW: AW: AW: Text rendering with FOP

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Sergiu,

I'm really sorry. As Jermias already pointed out, rumours about the RTF support's death are greatly exaggerated. I was wrong and I apologize.

Posted by Sergiu Dumitriu <se...@xwiki.com>.

Posted by fopit <le...@gmail.com>.

AW: Text rendering with FOP