Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/16 10:23:02 UTC

A few more assembly and examples thoughts

L.S.,

While reviewing the recent changes in the assembly types, there were a few
things in the assemblies and examples that caught my attention and that I'd
like to improve...

1. How about reorganizing the examples into subdirectories to make things a
bit more clear?  E.g. put all the Karaf demo in examples/karaf/*, put the
basic Camel demos in examples/camel/*, put the CXF and Camel-CXF demos in
examples/cxf/*, ... I think it might make the distinction between some of
the examples a bit more clear and I'm also planning to spend a day writing
an 'Examples guide' somewhere this week or next, so it would match the
chapters of that guide pretty nicely ;)

2. Do we want/need to ship the JBI examples in the basic assembly?  We
still want to ship them in the JBI assembly, but for the basic assembly I
think it would be better if we add a few more Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ examples
instead of confusing people with those JBI examples.

3. Is there any good reason to keep the assemblies in the NMR?  They're
just causing extra maintenance overhead and I don't think I've ever seen
anyone using them.  Moreover, some of the examples in there (e.g. the
clustering example) actually need bits and pieces from the ServiceMix
features assembly to function properly, so I would propose to move the
examples to the features project and build the NMR as a set of bundles we
use in ServiceMix instead of doing the extra assembly there.

4. We are getting a lot of questions about people trying the HTTP based
examples with browser that don't support the cross-site HTTP requests if
they just open the HTML files from disk.  What would we do to fix that for
them?  Would it be an option to add an 'examples' webapp that hosts these
test HTML files (and perhaps even has a button where you can
install/uninstall the example features)?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Re: A few more assembly and examples thoughts

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
I'm quite +1 on all of those, especially #3...

Cheers!

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Gert Vanthienen
<ge...@gmail.com>wrote:

> L.S.,
>

> While reviewing the recent changes in the assembly types, there were a few
> things in the assemblies and examples that caught my attention and that I'd
> like to improve...
>
> 1. How about reorganizing the examples into subdirectories to make things a
> bit more clear?  E.g. put all the Karaf demo in examples/karaf/*, put the
> basic Camel demos in examples/camel/*, put the CXF and Camel-CXF demos in
> examples/cxf/*, ... I think it might make the distinction between some of
> the examples a bit more clear and I'm also planning to spend a day writing
> an 'Examples guide' somewhere this week or next, so it would match the
> chapters of that guide pretty nicely ;)
>
> 2. Do we want/need to ship the JBI examples in the basic assembly?  We
> still want to ship them in the JBI assembly, but for the basic assembly I
> think it would be better if we add a few more Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ examples
> instead of confusing people with those JBI examples.

+1!!! I still see new users downloading the latest SMX 4.x and immediatly
assuming everything is JBI (b/c of the website and the examples).

> 3. Is there any good reason to keep the assemblies in the NMR?  They're
> just causing extra maintenance overhead and I don't think I've ever seen
> anyone using them.  Moreover, some of the examples in there (e.g. the
> clustering example) actually need bits and pieces from the ServiceMix
> features assembly to function properly, so I would propose to move the
> examples to the features project and build the NMR as a set of bundles we
> use in ServiceMix instead of doing the extra assembly there.

Sounds good. I really doubt anyone but SMX is using the NMR assembly.

> 4. We are getting a lot of questions about people trying the HTTP based
> examples with browser that don't support the cross-site HTTP requests if
> they just open the HTML files from disk.  What would we do to fix that for
> them?  Would it be an option to add an 'examples' webapp that hosts these
> test HTML files (and perhaps even has a button where you can
> install/uninstall the example features)?

That sounds like a fine option to me.

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com

Cheers,
Jon
---------------
FuseSource
Email: jon@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: jon_anstey
Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com
Author of Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen

Re: A few more assembly and examples thoughts

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Gert,

my comments inline:

> 1. How about reorganizing the examples into subdirectories to make things a
> bit more clear?  E.g. put all the Karaf demo in examples/karaf/*, put the
> basic Camel demos in examples/camel/*, put the CXF and Camel-CXF demos in
> examples/cxf/*, ... I think it might make the distinction between some of
> the examples a bit more clear and I'm also planning to spend a day writing
> an 'Examples guide' somewhere this week or next, so it would match the
> chapters of that guide pretty nicely ;)

Fully agree, we should definitely keep out JBI by default.

> 2. Do we want/need to ship the JBI examples in the basic assembly?  We
> still want to ship them in the JBI assembly, but for the basic assembly I
> think it would be better if we add a few more Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ examples
> instead of confusing people with those JBI examples.

No, JBI examples should be only part of the JBI distribution.

> 3. Is there any good reason to keep the assemblies in the NMR?  They're
> just causing extra maintenance overhead and I don't think I've ever seen
> anyone using them.  Moreover, some of the examples in there (e.g. the
> clustering example) actually need bits and pieces from the ServiceMix
> features assembly to function properly, so I would propose to move the
> examples to the features project and build the NMR as a set of bundles we
> use in ServiceMix instead of doing the extra assembly there.

Fully agree, nobody uses directly the NMR assembly, the users only use
the "features" (SMX4) distribution. So I think that we can avoid the NMR
assembly and focus on the "features" one.

> 4. We are getting a lot of questions about people trying the HTTP based
> examples with browser that don't support the cross-site HTTP requests if
> they just open the HTML files from disk.  What would we do to fix that for
> them?  Would it be an option to add an 'examples' webapp that hosts these
> test HTML files (and perhaps even has a button where you can
> install/uninstall the example features)?

I think an example web-bundle should help. It will show to the users the
http/web feature usage, etc.

Regards
JB

> Regards,