Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com> on 2001/11/22 16:56:43 UTC

Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Hi all,

We've finished most of the schema features, and are now in testing and
wrapping up mode.   So I think it's time to call for Xerces-C++ 1.6.  If
you have any urgent fix or important code wanna to get in, please do so.

Feel free to play with the latest nightly build
(http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/nightly/), and let us know any bugs
and leaks found so that we can fix them before releasing Xerces-C++ 1.6.

Unless we hear any on-hold request, the target date for Xerces-C++ 1.6
should be sometime early December.

Thanks!

Regards,

Tinny Ng
XML Parsers Development
IBM Toronto Laboratory, email: tng-xml@ca.ibm.com

Re: CVS: RE: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de>.
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:41:46 +0530, Renji Panicker wrote:

>I have found that renaming the sub-directory in my cvsroot does the trick. I
>don't kno how safe it is supposed to be, but I've not had a problem with it
>so far.

That is another way to do it, but it has implications. When doing mass renaming
through repo manipulation, a better way is to COPY the directory in the repo,
then "cvs rm -Rf olddir" in your working dir.

Ciao, Jürgen

--
Jürgen Hermann, Developer (jhe@webde-ag.de)
WEB.DE AG, http://webde-ag.de/

CVS: RE: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Renji Panicker <re...@aliyance.com>.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Murray Cumming wrote:

> Remember that this will require a cvs change. We need to rename the src directory
> to xercesc. Some cvs experts gave some advice about that at the time.

Since CVS cannot rename, the cleanest way is to create everything as new directory
and new files, and then delete the old directory "src".  And as far as I know, the
deleted directory information is still stored in CVS "Attic" and is still
accessible.  Thus we can still access old history log if needed.

CVS experts, please correct me if I am wrong....

Tinny

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.
On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 16:45, Tinny Ng wrote:
> Murray / Jason,
>
> Do you have the sane_include patch against the latest code base ready?

No. I'll prepare one for you tomorrow.

murrayc@usa.net
www.murrayc.com

Xerces 1.5.2 for SCO Openserver

Posted by Jorge Pozo Ramirez <j....@externo.mju.es>.
Greetings.

I've just managed to compile a succesfull port of Xerces 1.5.2 on a SCO
OpenServer 5.0.4 machine.

I used a SCO tweaked version of GNU C++ (available as Skunkware at caldera
FTP site), known as gcc-2.95.2pl1

I also have OSRCompat Package for UnixWare 7.1.1 installed.

I attach a diff archive of the changes I made to the source code. Take a
look on it, as I didn't had time to put the code clean and shiny.

Regards.

Jorge

Jorge Pozo Ramírez
Accenture
Technology Consulting Services
Government GMU
email: jorge.pozo.ramirez@accenture.com
Subdirección General de Informática
- Ministerio de Justicia -
Madrid. España.
email: j.pozo@externo.mju.es
tel: 913902646

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6 / sane_include patch

Posted by PeiYong Zhang <pe...@ca.ibm.com>.
Murray,

     Yes we are working on it and right now in the test building stage, once it is
done, the changes will be put into CVS and the community can help to test,
as well as to port to other existing platforms, such as BCB5, Mac, etc.

Rgds,
PeiYong

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.
On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 14:00, Tinny Ng wrote:
> I will be on vacation during x'mas.  Unless other committers volunteer to do this,
> otherwise I plan to do it sometime in
> January next year.

Could you please give us an update on this? It's been such a long time.
I received an off-list email from Peiyong Zhang <pe...@ca.ibm.com>
about this. It seems like he's doing something about it but he hasn't
replied to my replies.

> Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > I agree. You need to apply the patch, direct people to the cvs or
> > > appropriate nightly, and only release it when they say it's OK.
> >
> > Can you tell us when you expect to apply this?
> >
> > --
> > Murray Cumming
> > murrayc@usa.net
> > www.murrayc.com

Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net
www.murrayc.com

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6 / sane_include patch

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.
On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 18:31, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 18:06, Tinny Ng wrote:
> > I've reviewed Murray's patch for sane_include, it looks ok.  But since the patch is
> > only for UNIX platforms, I think I need more time to integrate the changes to
> > Windows/OS2/BCB/MacOS project files, and update the documentation as well.
>
> I agree. You need to apply the patch, direct people to the cvs or
> appropriate nightly, and only release it when they say it's OK.

I mean by this also that you should ask other people to make the changes
for other platforms.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6 / sane_include patch

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
I've reviewed Murray's patch for sane_include, it looks ok.  But since the patch is
only for UNIX platforms, I think I need more time to integrate the changes to
Windows/OS2/BCB/MacOS project files, and update the documentation as well.

I agreed with Jason that we shouldn't stop the users from getting full Schema
support, because of this patch delay.  So I am going to release Xerces-C++ 1.6
within the next two days as planned, without this sane_include changes but has full
schema support.  And then take my time to integrate the Murray's patch to the CVS.
So this sane_include change will be there for Xerces-C++ 1.7 next year.

Unless I hear otherwise, the Xerces-C++ 1.6 should be ready by Thursday or so.

Thanks!

Tinny

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> Do you have the sane_include patch against the latest code base
> ready?
>
> I plan to release Xerces 1.6 sometime early December, i.e. end of next week or
> so.  It is appreciated if you can have a patch for your proposal some time
> this week.   Please provide migration information as well.  Thanks!

Hey Tinny,

I will have exactly ZERO time for xerces for the next two weeks,
sorry.

My feeling is that because the sane_includes patch affects use apps, I
wouldn't want to stop them from getting full Schema support, because
of that patch. So I would be happy to see the patch go in immediately
after the 1.6 release.

Because its a reorganization of a bunch of files, there was an issue
of how it would be implemented in CVS. So I think we should take our
time with this one.

It's not my baby, however, it's really up to Murray.

jas.

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Murray Cumming" <mu...@t-online.de> writes:

> On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 16:45, Tinny Ng wrote:
> > Murray / Jason,
> >
> > Do you have the sane_include patch against the latest code base ready?
>
> In the previous sane_includes package I seem to have edited
> generated files.  I'm trying to do it right this time, but I can't
> figure out how the Xerces-C++ build system works.
>
> src/Makefile.in seems to be generated from src/Makefile.incl, but
> also includes stuff from scripts/packageBinaries.pl.  How would I
> regenerate Makefile.in? Or, in other words, what's the
> strange-Xercesc-C++-build-system equivalent of autogen.sh (aka
> aclocal, autoconf, automake, etc.)

Hey Murry,

Anything labeled '.in' is hand generated, namely:

* configure.in - used by autoconf to create configure
* Makefile.in  - used by configure to create Makefile

run autoconf to create configure, and run configure to create
Makefile. The only odd part of the Xerces build system (and it is odd
enough) is that you need runConfigure.pl.

jas.

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Murray / Jason,

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by "D. Stimits" <st...@idcomm.com>.

Question about public id

Posted by Lihong Pei <Li...@xilinx.com>.
Hi,
I have a question about public id.
>From the web, it mentioned that public id has to be in certain format like:
        prefix//owner-identifier//text-class text-description//language//display-version.
However, W3C does not mention it and implied it could be in any format what the allowed
PubidChar.
I'm wondering if I write a Xml file with
<!DOCTYPE TypeLib PUBLIC "$XILINX/data/xml/Ldm/Ldm_TypeLib.dtd"
          "http://web/randd/software/xfndry/rtf/data/xml/Ldm/Ldm_TypeLib.dtd" > , in which
$XILINX will be resolved by my own EntityResolver, will it be OK?
Will <!DOCTYPE TypeLib SYSTEM "$XILINX/data/xml/Ldm/Ldm_TypeLib.dtd"> be acceptable? The
concern is that SYSTEM id has to be a URI, while "$XILINX/data/xml/Ldm/Ldm_TypeLib.dtd"
could only be resolved my parse with my own EntityResolver.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Lihong Pei

Re: FreeBsd Patch (was Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6)

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Max,

I've put the latest nightly packages to
http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/nightly/2001-11-30/ which has Michael's patch in it.

Please use that as your patch's code-base.  If you can send me your patch early next week, I
think I can still incorporate it into Xerces-C++ 1.6.

Thanks for your contribution.

Tinny

Posted by Max Gotlib <ma...@cca.usart.ru>.
Tinny,

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Michael,

Posted by Michael Huedepohl <mi...@mozquito.com>.

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Michael,

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6 / FreeBSD port

Posted by Michael Huedepohl <mi...@mozquito.com>.
Hi Tiny,

let me answer a second time to your email from Nov 23,
because things have changed meanwhile.

First of all, I found that the compilation bug from the
nightly build has been fixed, as I've seen from the CVS Web
interface. I replaced the three files
	src/util/XMLAbstractDoubleFloat.hpp
	src/util/XMLDouble.hpp
	src/util/XMLFloat.hpp
with the new versions, and now everything went perfectly.
In addition to my first patch for FreeBSD, I also ported the
examples, and they all work well.

I compared all the files which I modified for the FreeBSD port
with the version numbers and dates from the CVS Web interface
and confirmed that they are all up-to-date now.

Since you prefer a zip file instead of a patch script, I've
created a zip file containing the modified files and the new
FreeBSD platform specific files, of course in the corresponding
directories.

With this port, you can configure on FreeBSD with ICU transcoder
(-t icu) or with the native transcoder (Iconv, default).

The Iconv part has been written originally by Max Gotlib and
slightly corrected by me. It's ONLY contained in the file
IconvTransService.cpp, so you can decide for yourself to add
this modification or to omit the changes in IconvTransService.cpp
If you omit it, the configure with native transcoder will fail
at least on FreeBSD up to version 4.3 because
- wchar.h and wctype.h don't exist
- towupper doesn't exist
- wcstombs and mbstowcs are not conforming to the standard
  (NULL pointer argument for array length computation doesn't work)
Development goes on and at least the header files seem to be
available in FreeBSD 4.4, but I'm not sure if the rest is also OK.
So the Iconv port would still be helpful, but with the drawback
of having platform specific code in IconvTransService.cpp.
I don't see an easy way of moving this code elsewhere.
But XMLCh is not redefined as you complained - only wint_t
(which is also undefined on FreeBSD) is defined here to be XMLCh,
which is quite conforming to the definition in XXXDefs.hpp.

Hope you can integrate/commit it now.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Plan for Xerces-C++ 1.6

Posted by Michael Huedepohl <mi...@mozquito.com>.