Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/09/06 17:23:00 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Requiring Python 2.7

I’m just catching up on this thread now.

I fall in the camp that would prefer not to dictate a requirement of Python 2.7 for anything in Yetus.  My reasoning agrees with what Allen has already described.  I have been in the situation that he describes, needing to maintain build infrastructure on old OSes and old Python versions.  Upgrading the OS or installing Python 2.7 via conda or a custom rpm was not an option.  IT policies prevented me from performing non-essential/non-security related upgrades or installing new software.  Instead, the solution was to stick to Python code compatible with the old versions.

I haven’t reviewed the code for YETUS-445, but the motivation for this topic coming up now seems to be argparse.  I think Ajay’s proposal for handling that sounds fine.  Alternatively, we could explore if it’s feasible to check in a copy of argparse to be front-loaded onto PYTHONPATH.

--Chris Nauroth

On 8/24/16, 9:45 PM, "Ajay Yadava" <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

    If the only motivation for Python 2.7 for this script is to use argparse
    library then it can be installed on Python 2.6 and hence shouldn't be an
    issue IMO. We have external dependencies for RDM as well. A simple
    try-catch will ensure that 2.6 users know about the external dependency.
    Does this work?

    --
    Regards
    Ajay Yadava

Re: [DISCUSS] Requiring Python 2.7

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
In my own experience, I’ve had to work under all of the following policies:

1. Write Python code however you want, and any necessary upgrades are fine.
2. You must stick to Python version X, but installing additional third-party libraries is acceptable.
3. You must stick to “vanilla” Python version X, and additional third-party libraries cannot be installed.

My suggestion to consider bundling argparse and front-loading it on PYTHONPATH is a workaround that I have used in scenario 3 in some cases (when the library’s licensing allowed it).  It’s a trade-off between the convenience of whatever the library in question provides and the additional build and deployment complexity.  This was considered acceptable under policy, because use of the library was constrained to my application and not installed globally.

However, as you pointed out, we’re not currently doing this in Yetus.  We currently prompt to install the additional libraries.  I think this is acceptable.  Policy 3 was an unusual circumstance for me.  If we get a user asking for vanilla Python 2.6 support, then it’s something we could explore again.

--Chris Nauroth

On 9/6/16, 10:35 AM, "Andrew Wang" <an...@cloudera.com> wrote:

    I already updated YETUS-445 for Python 2.6 support, so it's not blocked on
    this conversation.

    Chris, in the situation you describe where "IT policies prevented me from
    performing non-essential/non-security related upgrades or installing new
    software", does this policy not also apply to third party libraries
    installed via pip? I honestly don't see the difference, since both conda
    and pip can be used without root, and install things to your local homedir.

    This is why I keep bringing up third-party libraries. If the restriction is
    not just Python 2.6 but vanilla Python 2.6, that's also something that
    should be documented, and we should retrofit RDM and YETUS-445 to remove
    those dependencies.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.