Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by eric b <er...@free.fr> on 2011/08/19 19:39:01 UTC

Managing mailing lists (spams issues on fr mailing list)

Hello,

When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in return
lot os spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr, but I know
there are other.

What is scheduled about http://fr.openoffice.org  ( a sub-domain of
OpenOffice.org ), and the existing mailing lists ?

Waiting, is it possible to authorize me to manage a bit ? (and remove
some spammers ?)  There is nobody to maintain the site, and it is
urgent to start some maintainance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə
Education Project:

Re: Managing mailing lists (spams issues on fr mailing list)

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Dave,

Le 19 août 11 à 19:57, Dave Fisher a écrit :

> On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:39 AM, eric b wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in
>> return lot os spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr,
>> but I know there are other.
>>
>> What is scheduled about http://fr.openoffice.org  ( a sub-domain
>> of OpenOffice.org ), and the existing mailing lists ?
>
> There has been some discussion of hosting the source of the website
> at the equivalent of http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/fr
>
> fr.openoffice.org would redirect to www.openoffice.org/fr or the
> eventual OOo TLP - perhaps openoffice.apache.org/fr
>
> What do you think?

A redirection would be perfect, and the URL makes sense, too

+1 from me.

> About the ML - there was some discussion in late June about having
> a single NL user list. Does this make sense? Or, would you need a
> few more?

I think the fr project is an important one, has a bunch of mailing
lists, and has a lot of subscribers.

But 15 lists is too much, indeed :)  After several years of practice,
I can say the most important are

- users (help, bugs detection, announces)
- discuss ( everything else)
- prog : the API, Basic , Python ..and so on

dev in fr was never used for development, and can wait ( ooo-dev is
perfect )

The educ one is an anomaly, and would be better in the Education
project.

So, a first wish could be : keep the 3 mentionned above at the
beginning.

The next issue is to find volunteers : once the spam issue fixed,
I'll ask for volunteers, and with the feedback, I'll be able to give
you an answer :)

> Naturally we would need moderators and some oversight by the PPMC.

Yes. Who can apply ? Preferably french people, I suppose ?

> Similar for other Level 1 language projects.

Sure !

>> Waiting, is it possible to authorize me to manage a bit ? (and
>> remove some spammers ?)  There is nobody to maintain the site, and
>> it is urgent to start some maintainance.
>
> Is there anyone here who could grant Eric karma?

Thanks in advance :-)

Regards,
Eric

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:39 AM, eric b wrote:

> Hello,

There has been some discussion of hosting the source of the website at the equivalent of http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/fr

fr.openoffice.org would redirect to www.openoffice.org/fr or the eventual OOo TLP - perhaps openoffice.apache.org/fr

What do you think?

About the ML - there was some discussion in late June about having a single NL user list. Does this make sense? Or, would you need a few more?

Naturally we would need moderators and some oversight by the PPMC.

Similar for other Level 1 language projects.

> Waiting, is it possible to authorize me to manage a bit ? (and remove some spammers ?)  There is nobody to maintain the site, and it is urgent to start some maintainance.

Is there anyone here who could grant Eric karma?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 19 août 11 à 20:20, Rob Weir a écrit :

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in
>> return lot os
>> spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr, but I know
>> there are
>> other.
>>

> Is it a fair assumption to think that the Apache lists are filtered
> using Spam Assassin?   If so, it appears to be working well.  I'm a
> moderator on several lists and very rarely see spam come through.

Everyone subscribed to the list received 6 to 9 mails (I don't know
why they are send 3 times).

If you want I can forward you one of them, for expertise (the header
could help, not sure) ?

> Of course, this could be because these are  younger lists, and the
> addresses have not been scraped yet.

I have no idea really, but I recevied 9 mails in one minute, in
return of my own mail. Those mails are in the archives, you can
verify by yourself :
http://openoffice.org/projects/fr/lists/discuss/archive
http://openoffice.org/projects/fr/lists/users/archive

Regards,
Eric

Posted by Eric Hoch <er...@gmx.de>.
Hi Shane,
Am Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:15:06 -0400 schrieb Shane Curcuru:

> On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, eric b<er...@free.fr>  wrote:
> Note that in general, I would envision the future state of AOOo
> as having far, far fewer lists than the existing set of OOo
> lists.

Agreed.

> Note that the one exception that I have seen regularly
> made to have "more lists" is languages - a number of projects
> have a dev-fr@ list in addition to dev@ or the like.
>
> Having fewer lists - even perhaps with more traffic - tends to
> encourage more of a coherent community feel.

Right but a lot of german users and volunteers are afraid of using
English as the language of choice for mailinglists. Older german
citizens e.g. didn't learn English at all or years back in school
and never used it or aren't familiar with using it on a regular
base, so I would at least create one mailinglist for them. We can
call it discuss, users, dev whatever. For other german mailinglists
it is hopefully possible to coordinate with "The Document
Foundation".

Eric

--
## de.OpenOffice.org - Office für MacOS X, Linux, Solaris & Windows
## Openoffice.org - ich steck mit drin!

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, eric b<er...@free.fr>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in return lot os
>> spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr, but I know there are
>> other.
>>

> Is it a fair assumption to think that the Apache lists are filtered
> using Spam Assassin?   If so, it appears to be working well.  I'm a
> moderator on several lists and very rarely see spam come through.

Indeed, infra uses SpamAssassin on nearly all Apache lists with somewhat
customized rulesets.  Other services infra already supports are posted:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html

Note that in general, I would envision the future state of AOOo as
having far, far fewer lists than the existing set of OOo lists.  Note
that the one exception that I have seen regularly made to have "more
lists" is languages - a number of projects have a dev-fr@ list in
addition to dev@ or the like.

Having fewer lists - even perhaps with more traffic - tends to encourage
more of a coherent community feel.

- Shane

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/19/2011 08:20 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, eric b<er...@free.fr>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in return lot os
>> spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr, but I know there are
>> other.
>>

> Is it a fair assumption to think that the Apache lists are filtered
> using Spam Assassin?   If so, it appears to be working well.  I'm a
> moderator on several lists and very rarely see spam come through.
>
> Of course, this could be because these are  younger lists, and the
> addresses have not been scraped yet.

Since a few weeks I get 1-2 spams per day to my address. So, it seems to
be known already for the bad guys. :-(

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.