Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Richardson <gr...@watercove.com> on 2003/01/27 21:25:48 UTC

[users@httpd] cgi called from javascript line not working

Hi,

I've run into an odd problem and I don't know why it's happening. My web
site it hosted by a web hosting company. They're using Solaris 8 x86 running
Apache 1.3.27. Because I'm too lazy to rename all my .htm files to .shtml to
use Server Side Includes (and the web hosting company won't mod the conf
file for me), I found a perl/cgi script that emulates SSI's. It's in this
format:

<script language="JavaScript"
src="/cgi-bin/psinclude.cgi?template=copyright.txt">

The file "copyright.txt" is some simple code:

<a target="_blank" href="/contact.htm">Gary P. Richardson</a> and
<a target="_blank" href="/contact.htm"">Anna P. Klein</a>, unless otherwise
note
</center>

On the web hosting site this works just fine. You can see it in action at
http://www.cyberlights.com It's the copyright and "Back to top" at the
bottom of the page.

Well, I set up a local apache server on a unix machine at home so I can
develop my pages and see how it looks before I put it on the web hosting
site. I'm running Solaris 8 and Apache 2.0.43 at home. However, the line
above doesn't work. I don't get any errors in error_log and access_log shows
this entry:

192.168.1.230 - - [27/Jan/2003:14:54:22 -0500] "GET
/cgi-bin/psinclude.cgi?template=copyright.txt HTTP/1.1" 200 604

The page loads ok, I just don't see the copyright at the bottom of the page.

I took a sample of my .htm files that uses this call and put them on an
apache server at work running Solaris 8 and Apache 1.3.20. I get the same
results as I get at home. No errors, but no copyright.

Here's a real kicker. I loaded an apache server on my PC running Windows
2000 a while back. Just for the heck of it I set up a page with the
javascript/psinclude.cgi call, and would ya believe it, it worked. The win2k
version of Apache I'm running  is 2.0.39.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing the to Sparc/Solaris versions of
Apache not to run this? I was able to obtain a copy of the httpd.conf that
my web hosting provider uses and there's nothing out of the ordinary in it
that seems different from any of the other httpd.conf's I'm using.

If anyone has any pointers on what the problem may be, or what I can do to
better troubleshoot this (any sort of debug I can run?) I'd appreciate the
help.

Thanks!

-Gary

Re: [users@httpd] cgi called from javascript line not working

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I've run into an odd problem and I don't know why it's happening. My web
> site it hosted by a web hosting company. They're using Solaris 8 x86
running
> Apache 1.3.27. Because I'm too lazy to rename all my .htm files to .shtml
> use Server Side Includes (and the web hosting company won't mod the conf
> file for me), I found a perl/cgi script that emulates SSI's. It's in this
> format:

Why don't you just make .htm[l] documents parsed by the SSI module?

-Jacob