Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Ferdy Galema <fe...@kalooga.com> on 2011/10/24 11:05:47 UTC

about ivy and maven

Hi,

This is something I also noticed in Nutch (and other projects too), why
are there pom.xml files as well as ivy.xml files in the project? I do
not fully understand why both need to be there. It would be great if
anybody could shed some light on this.

Ferdy.

Re: about ivy and maven

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ferdy,

There have been quite a few threads on this but it important to clarify.
***Please correct me where I'm wrong***
1) Ant/Ivy has been used in Gora in the past (which has worked well),
however now the dev's have 'generally speaking' moved towards favouring
maven.
2) Check out [1] - Proposal to change the build tool and project structure
thread for running commentary.
3) The gora community has opted for a mavenised builld. Being an ant/ivy
person, I must admit that the gora module structure suits very well.

With regards to both of them being there, and whether or not to get rid of
the ant/ivy in Gora, I could/cannot comment. I've not been around for long
enough to know the history.

I do know that I would vote -1 for removal of any/ivy from Gora as the
flexibility it provides is a positive.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-gora-dev/201110.mbox/browser

--
*Lewis*

Re: about ivy and maven

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi

We build with ANT+ivy but require the pom.xml for the publication of the
artefacts, which means that we need to keep both versions in sync.

Julien

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/