Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Benno Evers <be...@mesosphere.com> on 2018/08/10 15:56:58 UTC

Using jemalloc as default allocator

Hi guys,

it's quite late in the release cycle, but I've been thinking about
proposing to enable the `--enable-jemalloc-allocator` configuration setting
by default for linux builds of Mesos.

The thinking is that
 - Benchmarks consistently show a small to medium performance improvement
 - The bundled jemalloc version (5.0.1) has been released as stable for
over a year and has not seen any severe bugs
 - Our own Mesos builds with jemalloc don't show any issues so far

What do you think?

Best regards,
--
Benno Evers
Software Engineer, Mesosphere

Re: Using jemalloc as default allocator

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <bm...@apache.org>.
I would be interested in knowing what other projects have done around this
(e.g. Rust, Redis seem to use it by default on Linux, and I see ongoing
discussion in other projects e.g. Ruby).

To James' point, while anyone technically can use jemalloc, I have only
seen 1 user doing it. Maybe there are more, but it certainly isn't
widespread. Sometimes our users don't even know about whether they're
running an optimized build, they just install a package and run it.

We should aim to do something better by default for users, if possible, no?

Also, james, which profiling support are you referring to in the context of
jemalloc? Are you saying that memory profiling works without it? Right now
as far as I know, we can't use memory profiling when trying to investigate
user issues because nearly no one is using jemalloc.

Posted by Benno Evers <be...@mesosphere.com>.
Ok then, let's not do it for now.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.