Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is> on 2006/07/28 18:52:48 UTC

OUT OF MEMORY when RE-indexing Slide

Hi,

seems I didn't get any replies when I asked two question at once so
here goes!

I'm STILL : ( getting an out of memory error when Lucene is RE-
INDEXING the properties of my slide database repository.
Even when in synchronized mode. The PROPERTIES table is quite big,
about 800.000 records.

Not even 2GB of dedicated memory is enough for reindexing it.
I've tried using newer versions of Lucene (1.9.1) but with no
success. So I'm leaning on that this might be a bug in Slide re-
indexing code.

The error I get starts here:
26 Jul 2006 11:19:19 - org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransaction
- WARNING - Prepare failure: Resource manager
com.idega.slide.store.IWSlideStore@1386751 Error code XA_RBBASE in
Transaction 2 xid [B@158539f-[B@1da1a93 in thread TP-Processor1
javax.transaction.xa.XAException
         at
org.apache.commons.transaction.util.xa.AbstractXAResource.prepare
(AbstractXAResource.java:122)
         at com.idega.slide.store.AbstractSlideStore.prepare
(AbstractSlideStore.java:544)
         at org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransaction.commit
(SlideTransaction.java:251)
         at
org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransactionManager.commit
(SlideTransactionManager.java:186)
         at org.apache.slide.common.NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.commit
(NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.java:390)
         at
org.apache.slide.index.lucene.IndexInitializer.namespaceInitialized
(IndexInitializer.java:152)
Then an out of memory occurs.

Possibly it is because of the constant opening and closing of the
index? (I saw someone that Lucene doesn't like that much, memory wise)
If someone could test the re-indexing with a large PROPERTIES table,
or just a large file-store we could find out if this really is a bug!
Just backup your /store/index folder first, then you can shutdown
tomcat and replace it when you're done testing.

Best Regards
Eiki, Idega.

Re: OUT OF MEMORY when RE-indexing Slide

Posted by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is>.
One thing I wanted to add.

There aren't many files being created under store/index/metadata and
the ones there remain the same size the whole time...

-Eiki