Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by alex <ha...@yahoo.com> on 1998/11/01 07:48:43 UTC

os-windows/3326: The apache cannot reread the new added vhost(name based) ONLY.

>Number:         3326
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       The apache cannot reread the new added vhost(name based) ONLY.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Dear webmaster,
I have tested the apache web server in my nt4 service pack 3 platform reacently,
their're some problems that I hope you can improve in the next version of apache.

1/ I have created 10,500 name based virtual host at httpd.conf. It takes me 45 mins
to start the apache server and it also catched 240mb memory. Since I have 256mb
virtual memory so the apache work very good , fast and statble.

2/ Soon I want to add 10 more domain at httpd.conf <virtual host ... > section, and try
to force apache to reread the conf files. I used to type apache -k restart and apache
reread all the 10,510 vhost again, it takes me 50 mins to restart the apache server.

The most important question is, could you force the apache to reread the new added vhost
or new deleted vhost only without needed to reread the WHOLE EXISTED VHOST? (I have read
a lot of news messages they reply apache -k restart, this command is to reread the whole
httpd.conf, I want apache to reread the new added vhost at httpd.conf only.)

Another question is when I want to shutdown the apache server, I used apache -k shutdown.
The nt4 's taskmgr shows me that the memory is increasing to about 400mb and then drop back
to 80mb. Why apache need nearly double siz of memory to shutdown?

Last question is when I restart the apache web server the cpu goes up to 100%, at the same time
I use other network to query the apache server eg.. http://www.vhosted-domain.tld , netscape responded
"the server is down". Of course after the cpu drop to normal 5%, the query success again.
(I found that this is not the cpu's problems, just the apache -k restart cannot gracefully restart
at win32, the apache just stop answer all the incoming querys when it is doing restart.)

If you need more details, please don't hesiate to email me. Thank you for your concern.

Reagards
Alex

P.s. I compared apache1.3.3 to iis4 and found apache is better at the proformance, used
less registry and httpd.conf is very easy to backup. If you can solve the above reread(restart)
and memory problems, apache will beat iis4 at win32 enviroment.