Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Charlie Smith <Sm...@ldschurch.org> on 2004/03/26 03:34:06 UTC

too many files open error

I need to get solution to following error ASAP.  Please help me with this.
I'm getting following error returned from call to

<snip>

        try {
        searcher = new IndexSearcher(
                        IndexReader.open(indexName)     //create an
indexSearcher for our page
                );
        } catch (Exception e) {                         //any error that
happens is probably due
                                                        //to a permission
problem or non-existant
                                                        //or otherwise corrupt
%>
<%                error = true;                                  //don't do
anything up to the footer
        }

Output:
ERROR opening the Index - contact sysadmin!

While parsing query:
/opt/famhistdev/fhstage/jbin/.docSearcher/indexes/fhstage_update/_3ff.f6 (Too
many open files)

</snip>

Charlie
3/25/04

Re: too many files open error

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
If you are using Lucene 1.3, try using the index in "compound" format.
You will have to rebuild (or convert) your index to this format.  The
handy utility Luke will convert an index easily.

	Erik

Re: too many files open error

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Charlie Smith wrote:

>/opt/famhistdev/fhstage/jbin/.docSearcher/indexes/fhstage_update/_3ff.f6 (Too
>many open files)

Just a suggestion... why not put a URL string in the "Too many open
files".  Exception.   Tons of people keep running into this problem and
we keep wasting both our time annd their time.

We could just link to the FAQ entry.

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.