Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com> on 2010/01/07 17:25:51 UTC

Spamhaus and paid subscription

Good morning all,

I recently got my employer to pay for spamhaus queries, finally. I need
to use a key to access spamhaus now. Not an issue for for me MTA but SA
is another problem. When I change the rules to use our key, the key is
displayed in the spam report.

When I add this to override the URL SA uses,
header RCVD_IN_PBL              eval:check_rbl('pbl-lastexternal',
'<subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net.'    , '127.0.0.1[01]')

I get this is my spam reporting,
 0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
        [4.23.231.50 listed in <subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net]

I can't be printing our key in the emails, what is a sysadmin to do?

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org

Re: Spamhaus and paid subscription

Posted by Greg Troxel <gd...@ir.bbn.com>.
  I get this is my spam reporting,
   0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
          [4.23.231.50 listed in <subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net]

  I can't be printing our key in the emails, what is a sysadmin to do?

Some rules don't print out the 'listed in' detail (although they really
should).  So I suspect that there is some per-rule perl code that does
this, and you could probably tweak it to take a zone and key and then
only print the zone.

Re: Spamhaus and paid subscription

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
d.hill@yournetplus.com wrote:
> Can't you do zone transfers? Then you can do away with the
> subscriber_key thing and have DNS resolve locally for spamhaus.org and
> not have to query their DNS servers.

That's what I do here, but between their recommendations ("use a local
zone to prevent accidentally querying the public servers if something
breaks") and ToS ("don't allow access to the zone by third parties")
it's necessary to run the data under a different zone.

However, I'd still like the SA report to reflect the public zone instead
of the local one - I started looking at a patch to allow this in the
config, but it seems to be a lot more invasive than I thought at first.

-kgd

Re: Spamhaus and paid subscription

Posted by d....@yournetplus.com.
Quoting Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>:

> Hi!
>
>>> Can't you do zone transfers? Then you can do away with the
>>> subscriber_key thing and have DNS resolve locally for spamhaus.org and
>>> not have to query their DNS servers.
>
>> They sell datafeed and they sell queries, we bought queries. I do not
>> believe they would think kindly on my trying a zone transfer. I'm just
>> happy we got a paid subscription. It's the best support I can provide
>> Spamhaus to keep them in business.
>
> I wish you good luck doing a zone transfer on a rbldnsd server, its
> not implemented so its not an available option.

Correct. Rsync is used to transfer the actual rbldnsd zones.

Re: Spamhaus and paid subscription

Posted by jp <jp...@saucer.midcoast.com>.
The way it works is you rsync the zone on a scheule, and rbldnsd serves
it. We subscribed to it for a while and liked it, just wished they had
some different pricing tiers. We setup a virtual machine to do the
rsyncing/rbldnsd and had our main dns servers (as used by the
resolv.conf on the spamd servers) direct queries for the appropriate
zones to the virtual doing the spamhaus zones.

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
d.hill@yournetplus.com wrote:
> Quoting DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>:
>
>> Good morning all,
>>
>> I recently got my employer to pay for spamhaus queries, finally. I need
>> to use a key to access spamhaus now. Not an issue for for me MTA but SA
>> is another problem. When I change the rules to use our key, the key is
>> displayed in the spam report.
>>
>> When I add this to override the URL SA uses,
>> header RCVD_IN_PBL eval:check_rbl('pbl-lastexternal',
>> '<subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net.' , '127.0.0.1[01]')
>>
>> I get this is my spam reporting,
>> 0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>> [4.23.231.50 listed in <subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net]
>>
>> I can't be printing our key in the emails, what is a sysadmin to do?
>
> Can't you do zone transfers? Then you can do away with the
> subscriber_key thing and have DNS resolve locally for spamhaus.org and
> not have to query their DNS servers.

They sell datafeed and they sell queries, we bought queries. I do not
believe they would think kindly on my trying a zone transfer. I'm just
happy we got a paid subscription. It's the best support I can provide
Spamhaus to keep them in business.

I suspect a meta rule in my local.cf will be the least obtrusive and
lowest maint solution. i prefer to not modify SA or how I access Spamhaus.

Hopefully if business grows, I will increase my account numbers and get
a datafeed for my rbldnsd to go alongside Invaluement.

DAve

Posted by Christian Brel <br...@copperproductions.co.uk>.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:27:44 -0500
DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com> wrote:

> Michael Scheidell wrote:
> > On 1/7/10 11:25 AM, DAve wrote:
> >> Good morning all,
> >>
> >> I can't be printing our key in the emails, what is a sysadmin to
> >> do?
> >>

> > you could (maybe) use meta rules?
> > zero out (disable) originals, use meta rules, keep meta names to
> > match original rule names in case of other meta rules that depend
> > on it.
> >
> > then (I suspect) only the meta rule will show up.
>
> I think you are right, I will give it a try later today.
>
> DAve

Given your status as a paid Spamhaus subscriber, it may be worth asking
their 'support' team the best way to apply it to popular applications
if it gives you trouble.

Re: Spamhaus and paid subscription

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> When I add this to override the URL SA uses,
>> header RCVD_IN_PBL              eval:check_rbl('pbl-lastexternal',
>> '<subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net.'    , '127.0.0.1[01]')
>>
>> I get this is my spam reporting,
>> 0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
>>        [4.23.231.50 listed in <subscriber_key>.zen.dq.spamhaus.net]
>>
>> I can't be printing our key in the emails, what is a sysadmin to do?
>
> Whats your complete rule looking like, also the subscribe lines please.

The rule I added to my local.cf is as shown above. I do not know what a
subscribe line is.

DAve

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!