Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/11/01 10:47:17 UTC

[VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0

I've created a release candidate for hadoop-0.23.0 that I would like to release.

It is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-0.23.0-rc0/

hadoop-0.23 has significant new features: HDFS Federation and NextGen MapReduce being the highlights.

It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is distinctly 'alpha' quality and is not intended to be stable release right-away. The plan is to deploy this to smallish (500+ nodes) clusters and to start hardening it. This should also help downstream projects (Pig, Hive, HBase) start testing against the 0.23 line. Expect to see more bug-fix releases of the branch-0.23 in the forthcoming weeks (0.23.1 etc.)

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

thanks,
Arun

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.0-rc0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 11/01/2011 03:48 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
>> -1 This is not a release tarball that folks can vote on, since it
>> contains no source code.  Please cancel this vote and start a new vote
>> on an actual source code tarball.
>
> Okay, I found source code in 8 embedded jars:

No worries, I'm cancelling this vote to roll an rc1.

Arun

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 02/11/11 00:11, Mahadev Konar wrote:
> Roman,
>   We are  publishing the 0.23 snapshot artifacts on
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/hadoop/
> (Pig folks are using this) in case you want it ASAP.
>
>   As for the release maven artifacts, Ill let the RM handle it.
>
> thanks
> mahadev

the trouble with the maven snapshots are the artifacts aren't tagged to
a particular date and time; you get rolled forward to whatever is the
latest at a time of maven's choosing. As nobody understands when and why
it makes those decisions, there is no guarantee two people will be using
the same version, which makes filing bugreps all but impossible, which
is why nobody rational should be using them downstream. It's safer to
build and release your own versions.

+1 for putting the RC releases into a public maven/ivy repository

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.
I agree. I'd like to see releases be source first with binary versions provided in parallel where the RM chooses to provide them.

On alphas, I think what is important is that we ship alpha releases, so everyone has something to test and begin integration with. I'd encourage folks to +1 with some flaws, with the expectation that flaws will be fixed later.

On names, Alphas should be clearly labeled on the site.  That is critical. Beyond that I don't think it maters.

---
E14 - typing on glass

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
-1 This is not a release tarball that folks can vote on, since it
contains no source code.  Please cancel this vote and start a new vote
on an actual source code tarball.

As for the name, if we know for certain that it's alpha quality then
we'd probably be doing users a favor to name it that way.  As the
release stabilizes then we should remove such qualifiers, probably
erring on the side of removing them sooner rather than later, so that we
don't end up with a stable release that still has a qualifier.  But it's
your choice what to call it: if enough folks vote +1 then that's the name.

Doug

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
For some definition of soon. :)

There are still a number of our unit tests that fail with 0.23.  We'd like to get that ironed out.

Alan.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Good idea, will do. Thanks!

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Hey Brian,

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Owen,

Are we using HTTPD's release guidelines? If read correctly the section you
point out, then our first next stable release would be a 0.24.x. Is it that
what you are suggesting?

Thanks.

Alejandro

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <ma...@huawei.com>.
Great work Arun, Thanks a lot!
I will start verifying this from tomorrow.

> > > It's also very early in the 0.23 life-cycle and the release is
> > distinctly 'alpha' quality and is not intended to be stable release
> > right-away.
 Since we know the quality about release, why con't the release name itself alpha as Alejandro or others suggested. This will avoid confusions to the users to pick the stable releases later.

Thanks
Uma

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Nice work Arun, thanks.

A couple comments:

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Arun,

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
I downloaded the bits. Verified the signatures.

Started HDFS daemons in secure mode running as 'hdfs' user, created
directories. Successfully started YARN daemons - ResourceManager and
NodeManager - running as 'mapred' user.

But I am running into an issue while running mapreduce jobs using the
container-executor binary shipped with the tar-ball.

2011-11-01 16:30:00,326 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.LinuxContainerExecutor: Exit code
from container is : 2
2011-11-01 16:30:00,326 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.ContainerExecutor:
2011-11-01 16:30:00,326 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.localizer.ResourceLocalizationService:
Localizer failed
java.io.IOException: App initialization failed (2)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.LinuxContainerExecutor.startLocalizer(LinuxContainerExecutor.java:147)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.localizer.ResourceLocalizationService$LocalizerRunner.run(ResourceLocalizationService.java:859)
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException:
/home/vinodkv/Downloads/hadoop-0.23.0/bin/../bin/container-executor: 1:
Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

        at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.runCommand(Shell.java:261)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.run(Shell.java:188)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ShellCommandExecutor.execute(Shell.java:381)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.LinuxContainerExecutor.startLocalizer(LinuxContainerExecutor.java:139)
        ... 1 more

Still debugging to see if it is an environment issue.

Thanks,
+Vinod