Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Scott Christopher <SC...@internode.com.au> on 2010/09/16 06:46:43 UTC

OSGi development environment

We have recently started using ServiceMix, primarily as a container for Camel routes and so far we have had great success. However, the one thing we are still uncertain about is setting up a practical and OSGi-friendly development environment.

Ideally we would like to be able to "run" our Camel routes from within our IDE while developing, though as we are making use of OSGi features in our code, we need to fire up an OSGi environment and load up our bundled Camel routes.

Currently each developer is running a separate local instance of ServiceMix and deploying the compiled bundle whenever they need to test their development, however it would be preferable to keep this contained within the IDE.

We have looked into using Osmorc [1] and the Pax Construct Maven plugin [2], both with varying degrees of success. Pax Construct seems to be closest to what we want (the scan-features option takes care of resolving most of the bundle dependencies) though the plugin doesn't appear to cache any of maven downloads, which is annoying when having to wait for it to download the internet every time you fire it up.

Can anyone respond with how they have had success in achieving this, or a similar setup?

Regards,
	Scott Christopher

[1] http://www.osmorc.org/
[2] http://www.ops4j.org/projects/pax/construct/maven-pax-plugin/index.html

Re: OSGi development environment

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Scott

We are using the same tools as the Camel team uses.
Maven bundle plugin:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
Pax Exam: http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxexam/Pax+Exam

Regards,