Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2012/11/06 23:38:20 UTC

Modularizing the activemq-core module

If your watching the commits mailing list, you might notice me moving
source files a bit.  I'm trying to modularize the activemq-core module in
an attempt to simplify it a bit.  The main thing I'm going to try to do is
move the store impls into separate maven modules.

--

**

*Hiram Chirino*

*Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*

*hchirino@redhat.com <hc...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com*

*skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino<http://twitter.com/hiramchirino>
*

*blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo <http://hiramchirino.com/blog/>*

Re: Modularizing the activemq-core module

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 17:38 -0500, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> If your watching the commits mailing list, you might notice me moving
> source files a bit.  I'm trying to modularize the activemq-core module in
> an attempt to simplify it a bit.  The main thing I'm going to try to do is
> move the store impls into separate maven modules.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: Modularizing the activemq-core module

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Ok. I think I done moving files around for now.  Lets see how much I broke
once CI gets chance to test the build out.
We probably need re-verify our OSGi bits. We may need to do some ninja
 maven-bundle config to get activemq-core to continue to be an OSGi bundle
with all new modules I refactored out included like an uber jar.  Also need
to make sure the assembly did not get messed up either.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1
Good idea. That way the tests can be run more often without fear of them
taking too long

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Modularizing the activemq-core module

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
looks good so far

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Ok.. so far I've refactored out the following modules from activemq-core:

 * activemq-client : The the bits needed to use a JMS client
 * activemq-broker: The main broker implementation without plugins like
mqtt, stomp and message stores.

activemq-core is now just holding the plugins and the tests.  The plugins
will soon be split out into their own modules.
As for the tests, I'd like to propose that we restrict tests added/moved to
the new modules to tests which:

 1) Can run in parallel (i.e. won't conflict with each other) via the JUnit
parallel test runner
 2) Don't have any waits (i.e. they execute quickly)

What do you guys think?

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Looking at the commit logs, it looks like "a bit" is a bit of an
> understatement.
> But awesome that you got started on this.
>
> I guess we can also get started on the reduction off Spring dependency
> in the core.
> When your work has settled down a bit.
>

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
> wrote:
> > If your watching the commits mailing list, you might notice me moving
> > source files a bit.  I'm trying to modularize the activemq-core module in
> > an attempt to simplify it a bit.  The main thing I'm going to try to do
> is
> > move the store impls into separate maven modules.
> >
> > --
> >
> > **
> >
> > *Hiram Chirino*
> >
> > *Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*