Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2012/11/02 21:08:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > 2012 Nov

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: 2012 Nov (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2012+Nov)

Added by Andrea Pescetti:
*OpenOffice (was OpenOffice.org)*

OpenOffice entered incubation 2011-06-13 and graduated from the Incubator on 2012-10-17.
OpenOffice is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing
six productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
OpenOffice is released on multiple platforms. Its localizations support
have supported 110 languages worldwide.

As the project graduated very recently, this report still focuses on the
pre-graduation phase.

*Most Important Items To Address Toward Graduation*

OpenOffice graduated in October. To that aim, the project since the last
report had:
1. chosen a PMC with public nominations on the ooo-dev list
2. elected a PMC chair
3. carefully checked the compliance of code in its repository with the Apache rules.

*Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness*

No new issues at this time.

*Community Development/Outreach Progress*

We are increasing our global reach by recruiting volunteers to help update and
maintain the large set of native language home pages and to update the OpenOffice
translations into several languages. We managed to recruit new translation
volunteers and get them involved in the project.

Because our product is client-centric, we have put additional focus on our social
networking accounts -- Google \+, Facebook -- in collecting feedback and  ideas
from our user base. For example, 1260 users proposed ideas for OpenOffice 4.0 in
a survey we conducted using Google Moderator.

*Project Development Progress*

We started discussing plans for the next OpenOffice release. It will contain
several new features and it will probably be labelled 4.0. Plans are to release
it in 2013.

Community support forums remain popular with users. The ooo-users list also is
quite active. As Apache OpenOffice is a client product, we continue to
investigate ways to direct users to appropriate support venues.

The developer list, ooo-dev, remains very active.

Change your notification preferences: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action