Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2006/05/02 07:34:08 UTC

Re: licensing issues in clucene

On 4/30/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> being able to dual-license their contributions to GPL and Apache.  I
> believe there was a fairly strong consensus against it, including from
> one or more ASF board members.  Others may remember the details
> better.

We have one license on work that is conducted in our repositories and
on our mailing lists: the Apache License.  So, as a matter of policy,
we're not going to confuse everyone by licensing stuff that we release
under multiple licenses.  -- justin

Re: licensing issues in clucene

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 4/30/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> being able to dual-license their contributions to GPL and Apache.  I
>> believe there was a fairly strong consensus against it, including from
>> one or more ASF board members.  Others may remember the details
>> better.
>
> We have one license on work that is conducted in our repositories and
> on our mailing lists: the Apache License.  So, as a matter of policy,
> we're not going to confuse everyone by licensing stuff that we release
> under multiple licenses.  -- justin

And just to be clear, since "Harmony" was invoked as the reason for this
- it was an element of discussion trying to work around license issues,
the suggestion by an individual was that contributors also dual license
contributions they are making to apache under MIT (hosted somewhere
else) for outside projects to use.  We never (or certainly I never)
suggested that Apache Harmony releases be under anything but the AL.

geir