Posted to sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org> on 2017/06/15 13:19:01 UTC

Re: Adding RBLs to default SA rules

A rule with a score of zero is disabled and not even attempted.  Back
when some RBLs went from free to paid, SA admins all around the world
had to set some rules to a score of zero.  Our mail volume is so high
that I have to disable the SURBL rules like this or I get a nasty email
from them with a quote to continue using them.  BTW, I did a 1 month
trial with their rbldnsd feed and I didn't find any value in it.  In
fact, it had too many false positives.  When I told them that they just
sent me a link showing how good they were.

A local caching DNS server in front of the rbldnsd will help since your
MTA and SA will often be requesting similar DNS records.

FYI, the Invaluement RBL combined with Spamhaus will do wonders for your
mail filtering.  The IVM RBL is very cheap and worth every penny.  We
pay a few hundred to Rob for IVM and a few thousand for Spamhaus.  Then
with a few extra SA rules for IVM, that handles the majority of our spam
with no false positives.

Dave

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.
Have you checked out the Invaluement RBL?  Rob will give you a free trial.

Posted by Bryan Vest <mu...@gmail.com>.