Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/02 23:01:13 UTC

Deprecating support for mixed client/server version environments?

Not only in our discussions, but in the coding I am doing, ensuring
forward and backward compatibility in mixed version environments is
achievable but fairly onerous.

I think there has been some discussion of this, but I wanted to make it
a more direct question: is it possible that we "deprecate" support of
mixed client/embedded version environments in 10.2, and officialy remove
support in 10.3 or 10.4?  This would reduce the overhead of
adding/supporting common code significantly.  But I am not in support
and I am not clear of the impact of doing this.

Thanks,

David

Re: Deprecating support for mixed client/server version environments?

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/2/05, David W. Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:

> I mean that in version 10.2 we document that "in version 10.3 (or 10.4)
> of Derby, we will no longer support environments where multiple versions
> of Derby are available in the same classloader."

I thought we would still allow that as long as version compatibility allows
it? do we want to completely prevent users from running different versions
of Derby in the same classloader?

Then in version 10.3 (or 10.4) if/when someone sends an email saying
> "I've got this weird bug where upgrades don't seem to have any impact"
> or "when I upgrade I'm getting weird exceptions about methods not being
> found" we can say "run this tool (some form of sysinfo that works with
> classloaders)" and if it shows they have mixed versions we can say
> "don't do that, here are instructions on how to not do that" instead of
> "let's try to fix this."

I guess the expanded 'sysinfo' you're talking about would be something we
could run against a remote Derby instance or against the same JVM? Are you
thinking of having such utility running within a separate classloader of its
own _or_ interact with other classloaders in order to find out what versions
of Derby are running in a particular JVM?

Regarding the instructions on how to not do that - are you thinking of
suggesting the users to run the different versions of Derby in separate
classloaders?

David

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Ok, thanks Kathey, I will hold off.  I really wanted to understand what
the impact was, I was not intending to push this at all.

David

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.