Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Houliang Qi <ne...@163.com> on 2020/10/12 03:56:24 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Migrate the default branch from "master" to "main"/"develop"

Hi all,
As the vote have passed more than 72 hours, the vote results are as following

[D] Develop +7
[M] Main +1
[K] Keep master 0

And  I’d like to start a new discussion about this:

As someone mentioned  that there should be a develop branch and a release branch. The develop branch is used to submit the latest development, and the release branch is used for the functions that need to be released in the latest release.

At the same time, I hope that the development of cluster can also have two branches: cluster_develop branch and cluster_release branch.

The cluster_develop branch is used to merge the stand-alone version of the develop branch code and the latest development of the cluster.

The cluster_release branch is used to release some of the latest features. Only the functions that need to be released are allowed to be merged into the cluster_release branch, or to fix some bugs. Other newly developed functions are not allowed to be merged into the cluster_release branch. After cluster_release has been fully tested, it can be released.

Regarding the latest release, I would like to check out a cluster_release branch after the cluster_premerge branch merges into the master (develop), and then the master branch merges into the cluster_new (cluster_develop) branch.

And I think the new functions do not have beed tested or need more than one month to tested should be switch off when release the cluster version.

Does anyone have some ideas about this?

Thanks,
---------------------------------------
Houliang Qi
On 09/24/2020 02:38,Kevin A. McGrail<km...@apache.org> wrote:
I am +1 to rename it but don't have any good input on what would be a
good name to use going forward.  I'll defer to others on that.

On 9/22/2020 4:23 AM, Xiangdong Huang wrote:
Hi,

There is a movement to move the default branch from "master" to "main" or
"develop", because of two reasons:

- Many people around the world thought the word "master" has some ....
other meaning.
- the word "master" can not clearly describe the branch's purpose. As we
use the branch as our main working/developing branch, "main" or "develop"
may be better.

We had a discussion on private@ and I think it is time to start a vote in
public.

So, I'd like to call a formal vote for changing the default branch:

- [M] main
- [D] develop
- [K] Keep "master"

The vote will last at least 72 hours.
The name who gets the most votes (and >= 3 votes) wins.

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

--
Kevin A. McGrail
KMcGrail@Apache.org

Member, Apache Software Foundation

AW: [VOTE] Migrate the default branch from "master" to "main"/"develop"

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Sorry folks … I have absolutely no idea why this landed in this list and in this thread … It’s just a thread I pinned to the top of my folder as we still haven’t moved from “master” to “develop” in IoTDB.

Chris

Von: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
Datum: Montag, 8. Januar 2024 um 09:24
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <de...@iotdb.apache.org>
Betreff: AW: [VOTE] Migrate the default branch from "master" to "main"/"develop"
Here an example of what Julian started doing:
https://github.com/apache/plc4x/blob/feature/plc4rs/protocols/tsfile/src/main/resources/protocols/tsfile/tsfile.mspec

Chris

Von: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
Datum: Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2023 um 14:12
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <de...@iotdb.apache.org>
So …

we voted, the results were in favor … when are we planning on renaming the branches?
I’d be happy to help.

I do think we should really get rid of the “master”.
Even if it’s probably way less controversial in China, we want to welcome people from
all over the world and we should therefore pay attention to their feelings too.

Chris

Von: Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023 um 19:35
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <de...@iotdb.apache.org>
Soooo ... I guess we had almost 3 years now ;-)

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Von: Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023 um 19:35
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <de...@iotdb.apache.org>

Von: Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023 um 19:35
An: dev@iotdb.apache.org <de...@iotdb.apache.org>

Posted by Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Houliang Qi <ne...@163.com>.
Hi Xiangdong,

Thank you for your advice and I will start a new discussion with your opinion.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------
Houliang Qi
On 10/12/2020 12:04,Xiangdong Huang<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Houliang,

Thanks for raising this up.

1. You'd better to start a new thread entitled  "[VOTE][RESULT] ....." for
the vote.
2. start another thread to discuss about the cluster version management.

Best,

Houliang Qi <ne...@163.com> 于2020年10月12日周一 上午11:57写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Houliang,