Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2003/06/12 17:41:50 UTC

DNS Report

I think this could be very useful for users trying to learn how to setup
their server and diagnose problems with receiving messages or delivering
remotely.  This is particularly useful to catch the odd configuration
problems.

<http://www.dnsreport.com/>

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: DNS Report

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Jeff Cai wrote:
> thanks.
>
> from that server, I can get MX RR, but james can't.

Also, maybe try using the JNDI DNS service that should be bundled with
the JDK (since 1.3 I think) to see if it can find your records.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: DNS Report

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Interesting.  James really does nothing special with DNS aside from
> invoke method's on dnsjava.  No caching, nothing special at all.

Serge,

Actually, James v2.2 and v3 do use a cache, but it should be OK (see my post
to the list, and to Brian, for walkthrough).  I'd have to look at the code
for v2.1.3 (did Jeff mention which version he's using?).

To test dnsjava, one can use the built-in dig utility in the dnsjava jar.
dnsjava is now at v1.3.3 (we have 1.3.2), but I suspect that he'll release
another version soon.  I'm waiting for that before looking to update the
CVS.

FWIW, Brian has a new URL for dnsjava: www.dnsjava.org.

	--- Noel

Re: DNS Report

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Jeff Cai wrote:
> thanks.
>
> from that server, I can get MX RR, but james can't.

Interesting.  James really does nothing special with DNS aside from
invoke method's on dnsjava.  No caching, nothing special at all.  If you
have the energy, could you try to write test scripts against dnsjava and
see if it's a problem with the library, or maybe some configuration
setting of dnsjava that James isn't setting?

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: DNS Report