Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/07/17 19:00:13 UTC

Re: HTTP/1.1 standard/coyote performance

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, David Butterworth wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:39:36 +0000
> From: David Butterworth <da...@econ-outlook.com.au>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: HTTP/1.1 standard/coyote performance
>
> Hi again,
>
> I am currently running tomcat 4.0.4 with sun jdk 1.4 and linux 2.4.
> java options: -server -Xms64m -Xmx512m
>
> I am currently running the "org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
> with maxProcessors=400.
>
> This number of connectors is too small for the load placed onto tomcat.
> When I scale up the number of maxProcessors=1000 tomcat spits the dummy a boot
> time.
>
> I understand I could also try the coyote connector as an alternative.
>
> Does anyone know what is the maximum no. of threads I can run in tomcat
> (standard or coyote connector) that will allow it to handle this load ?

There's no inherent limit that Tomcat sets on how many threads you can
configure.  The ultimate limit, though, is going to be determined by the
OS+JVM combination you are using.

The Volano Report (http://www.volano.com/benchmarks.html> always makes
interesting reading with regard to threading performance and capacities on
various servers.

> Thanks
> David Butterworth

Craig