Posted to cli-dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net> on 2004/11/18 22:01:11 UTC

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."

> let me get ahold of my life first

I see you doing so much, what life?

More later....

Jeff

Re: Short or long variable names?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:02 PM 11/22/2004, Jeff White wrote:

>From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."
>
>>One (extreme) hassle is leaving the httpd code legible to httpd'ers
>>and leaving .NET code legible to .NET'ers.
>>I had chosen the conventions of using 'traditional' variable names for httpd datum, and 'wordy' variable names for the internals of
>>Apache.Web.
>
>In Apache.Web all data is visible....
>
>In Apache even the short rr and rv really do mean something but what?

request_rec and (apr_status_t) return value, by convention.

likewise, bb for bucket brigade, etc.

>It wasn't a nice practice to start and  now
>one can see why.....

:)

>In mod_aspdotnet and all assemblies
>one should use reader readable variables.
>Much easier for the old "httpd'ers" to read mod_aspdotnet with descriptive variables, than for .NET user usage to say what????

I'd like to make clear the distinctions.

What if we adopt a more long-hand, lowercase, _ seperated
convention for httpd variables?

e.g. this_bucket_brigade instead of bb, this_request_rec instead
of rr.  Note that httpd did blow it occasionally on namespace
protection; request_rec is the structure declaration that should
have been named something like ap_request_rec_t.

>Mod_aspdotnet  and the assemblies are only written once, but read over and over again......
>
>>There are quite a few cases where the variable name (e.g. static 'conf' structure in the mod_aspdotnet.cpp source) is horrid and
>>needs to be cleaned up.
>>I'm almost thinking, native_xx for variable names from apache
>>and apr - would that improve legibility?
>
>I'm not sure one needs native_ but
>definitely not rr, rv, abc, and so on....

>By the way is there an .NET enum
>for loglevel?

No - however that would be the sort of thing we would roll
into the native Apache.Web interface classes :)  Reminds me
we really should get on that - let me get ahold of my life
first and finish ushering mod_aspdotnet out the door, before
we attack mod_net (or whatever it's called.)  I actually have
a week free, sans children, during the December holiday.

Any suggestions on the native Apache.Web class and httpd
module names?  This is the 'close to the bone' module I've
been kicking around, mod_perl-like.

Bill

Re: Short or long variable names?

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."

> One (extreme) hassle is leaving the
> httpd code legible to httpd'ers
> and leaving .NET code legible to .NET'ers.
>
> I had chosen the conventions of using
> 'traditional' variable names for httpd datum,
> and 'wordy' variable names for the internals of
> Apache.Web.

In Apache.Web all data is visible....

In Apache even the short rr and rv really
do mean something but what?

It wasn't a nice practice to start and  now
one can see why.....

In mod_aspdotnet and all assemblies
one should use reader readable variables.

Much easier for the old "httpd'ers" to read
mod_aspdotnet with descriptive variables,
than for .NET user usage to say what????

Mod_aspdotnet  and the assemblies are
only written once, but read over and over
again......

> There are quite a few cases where the variable name (e.g. static
> 'conf' structure in the mod_aspdotnet.cpp source) is horrid and
> needs to be cleaned up.
>
> I'm almost thinking, native_xx for variable names from apache
> and apr - would that improve legibility?

I'm not sure one needs native_ but
definitely not rr, rv, abc, and so on....

Compare

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.