Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/07/09 02:10:23 UTC

RE: ooo blog [invitations, existing blogs]

I don't understand this part:

"> * Note invitations must be to existing blog accounts,
   and blog accounts are
"> created by Infra (mainly me) and are not
   LDAP aware at this stage.

"I take it you would like to batch the account setup. Do you want to start a clock on the first signups? Say 72 hours?"

I don't know what the tacit understandings are in this exchange.  Enlighten me:

What is an invitation and how is it to an existing blog account (rather than a blogger)?

Is this some sort of cross-posting deal?

That would probably clear it up enough for me to know whether I need to know more.

 - Dennis

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
I think a summary will help. The following needs to be done to configure an Apache Blog which runs on Apache Roller.

(1) The blog name - narrowed to either blogs.apache.org/openofficeorg ir  blogs.apache.org/ooo

(2) The title of the blog - "Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating)"

(3) The list of admins - who can publish and can also invite individuals with accounts to be a publisher on our blog.

(4) The list of publishers.

The Roller environment is not connected to LDAP. Also unlike, Confluence, but like our normal Apache accounts, someone in Infra must create Roller accounts for each of (3) or (4)

On Jul 8, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I don't understand this part:
>
> "> * Note invitations must be to existing blog accounts,
>   and blog accounts are
> "> created by Infra (mainly me) and are not
>   LDAP aware at this stage.
>
> "I take it you would like to batch the account setup. Do you want to start a clock on the first signups? Say 72 hours?"
>
> I don't know what the tacit understandings are in this exchange.  Enlighten me:

It is a normal behavior, if I were Gavin I would want to accumulate a list of people for (3) and (4) to do in a batch. That is certainly how the new committer accounts have been handled.

By suggesting 72 hours, the tacit understanding for everyone else is this:

We are giving the people who are sleeping or partying on their Saturday morning / Friday night. Who might be out for a fun filled weekend time to be involved next week.

By asking I recognize that Gavin (as a volunteer) might have a particular time when he would prefer to do Roller work. It might be Sunday? IIRC I think he did the CWIKIs about then.

> What is an invitation and how is it to an existing blog account (rather than a blogger)?

It is the mechanism in Roller. In Roller there are Users and there are Blogs. Admin Users invite other Users to contribute to Blogs.

> Is this some sort of cross-posting deal?

No, it is how access to a blog is controlled.

If you think we should then we can do a [DISCUSS] thread.

Regards,
Dave