Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kutschker <Ma...@blackbox.net> on 2003/02/07 16:19:44 UTC

SASL

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:51:30 -0800
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
From: Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject: Re: merging httpd-pop3 into httpd-2.0?

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 05:59 AM, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> > SASL is such a plugable authentication. Though it fails to be easily
> > extendable. Perhaps an ASF xp implementation of the RFC is of
> > interest.
>
> We'd be happy to entertain proposals. :)

Thinking about it more, I am not sure if an ASF version of SASL is too exciting, though it would make sense to have something like the server side part of SASL.

SASL, or better, the SASL modules implement authentication mechanisms that may be used by different servers/protocols. The splitting of the authentication modules should provide something similar. SASL also has functions to list all supported mechanisms (so they can be presented to the client). AFAIK, there is no such mechanism in APR/Apache.

So SASL is for an multi-protocol Apache of interest, but there are already routines to do the job. A standalone implementation (to be used by Apache) has certainly merits, but would be of limited use for other apps, because it would impose a dependency to the APR - or so me thinks (which may be indesireable). Wouldn't make sense to re-implement the xp stuff again.

It's a nice one to have, but not a must have then.

Masi

Re: SASL

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Thinking about it more, I am not sure if an ASF version of SASL is too
> exciting, though it would make sense to have something like the server
> side part of SASL.

I personally think that a SASL stack along with the ASF stacks (such as we
have for XML parsers, SOAP, jsp, servlet-api, etc, etc) would be a very
welcome addition ot the ASF stable.

But as you say; the webserver integration is just a small part of this. It
would need a community of its own.

Dw.