Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/01 09:47:42 UTC

WYSIWYG content managment component !!!

I've created a pretty nifty content managment system based upon two tapestry components. The first one is called a "ContentShell" and is generally wraped around a border type component or individual page. The second is called a "ContentSection" and is placed around any html that you want to be able to edit directly from the web.

The content shell takes as a parameter a "ContentRepository" bean which is a class that implements a repository interface. I currently only have one ContentRepository for interfacing with a database but was thinking of adding apache slide support.

Within a few minutes you can use these components to set up a nice content management system (with only one administrative user at the moment). You can log into the site using an user name and password and then a tool bar and drop down menu similar to xp style menus appears at the top of the page. Clicking the edit tab creates dashed box's around all regions of the current page that are wrapped by a "ContentSection" component. The user is then able to directly click in these areas and edit the content from within their web browser. Features of the WYSIWYG tool bar and contexts menus include sleek popup image management forms for uploading images to the server and inserting them, full table editing and creation support, custom css formating options, and just about everything else you would want.

I've been using the system with a few of my clients for months and they love it. If anyone is interested in checking it out or maybe getting involved with further development please let me know. At the moment it only works with internet explorer. I put some screen shots up at www.dreamthis.com/tapestrycms/ let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Kris Rasmussen

 The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!

Re: WYSIWYG content managment component !!!

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your interest.

Before I proceed I would like to make sure you are all ok with the fact that the pages are only editable in internet explorer?

I chose to sacrifice compatability in order to take advantage of the ie specific "ContentEditable" attribute. As I have mentioned before, this attribute is what enables the component to make only select regions of a page editable. I find this feature extremely useful as it simplifies what the user needs to worry about when editing the page while still enabling them to see the whole picture. It will also make it possible to control access to content at the sub-page level in the future.

The alternatives I see that would enable cross-browser compatability are...
  1.) Let the user see and edit the entire page.
  2.) Use an iframe html component to diplay only the editable regions.

Option 1 isn't even really an option since it would mean that after a user has edited a page, all dynamic content would be frozen.

Option 2 would be ok, except that the user would not be able to see how their changes are going to look in the page until they save it. Furthermore, in the existing system, the users does not need to worry much about style since their content will automatically take on the style of the page. Using option 2 would mean giving up this feature, or having to make sure the css data is passed to the component.

Please let me know if I didn't make myself clear.

Thanks,
Kris Rasmussen

RWinter@boystown.com.au wrote:

Hi Kris,

I also would love to see this go further. Please keep us informed of your
progress, as I would love to get involved in some way or another.

Best Regards,
Roland Winter
Programmer.
Boystown
P.O. Box 2000
Milton QLD 4064
Australia
rwinter@boystown.com.au
Phone: +61 7 3867 1219
Fax: +61 7 3868 1599

Posted by RW...@boystown.com.au.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ja...@mac.com.

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave,
I added some more information in response to Stephen's reply below that you might want to check out. The limitation on internet explorer is due to the fact that I made use of the "ContentEditable" attribute that I beleive is specific to IE. This allows me to control which parts of a page are editable by the user rather than making the whole page editable with an iframe.

I guess I can give you some info on how the internals of the system work as well. I make use of hidden fields for each content editable section. After the user has made their changes to each section and clicked save or publish, I use javascript to fetch the content from the editable regions and store them in the hidden fields so I can submit them via a form. The data is then aggregated in the ContentShell component and each section is recorded in the database. Its been a while since I did this and I don't have access to the code right now, but I think I store records based on the following schema...

page - published - version - section - data

This way when a user visits a published page, the ContentShell component prefetches all sections that are published as part of the current page, then the individual ContentSection components reference the ContentShell component for their respective data. This also makes it easy for some type of caching mechanism to be triggered via another attribute so that high traffic pages can be told to only fetch information from the database when it has changed.

Thanks for your interest,

Kris

----------------------------------

Hi Kris,

This looks interesting.  We are currently involved in updating our
outdated
WebObjects apps with more current technology (ie - Java, Tapestry,
Cayenne &
Oracle).

I am looking at doing some content management type stuff using
Tapestry,
Oracle and FCKEditor (an opensource javascript-based "html editor").
Looks
like your implementation is a little more sophisticated.  Can you give
me
more info on what your doing and why the limitation on interent
explorer?

Thanks,
Dave

Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com> wrote:Hi Stephen,
[...]

Stephen Yau wrote:
Hi Kris,

Your editor look great! I am kind of interested in how you implement
versioning and uploading images (will image keep version as well? How about
support on other document asset like PDF, Word, Excel?) How about other
function like "Save as Draft" or "Workflow (or just simple approval)"? .

I am also interested in further develop on the components. Mind if I take a
look?

Stephen Yau

�ޥ� Kris Rasmussen :

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Yau <fi...@ocean.hk>.
Hi Kris,

引用 Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>:

> I've created a pretty nifty content managment system based upon two tapestry
> components. The first one is called a "ContentShell" and is generally wraped
> around a border type component or individual page. The second is called a
> "ContentSection" and is placed around any html that you want to be able to
> edit directly from the web.
>
> The content shell takes as a parameter a "ContentRepository" bean which is a
> class that implements a repository interface. I currently only have one
> ContentRepository for interfacing with a database but was thinking of adding
> apache slide support.
>
> Within a few minutes you can use these components to set up a nice content
> management system (with only one administrative user at the moment). You can
> log into the site using an user name and password and then a tool bar and
> drop down menu similar to xp style menus appears at the top of the page.
> Clicking the edit tab creates dashed box's around all regions of the current
> page that are wrapped by a "ContentSection" component. The user is then able
> to directly click in these areas and edit the content from within their web
> browser. Features of the WYSIWYG tool bar and contexts menus include sleek
> popup image management forms for uploading images to the server and inserting
> them, full table editing and creation support, custom css formating options,
> and just about everything else you would want.
>
> I've been using the system with a few of my clients for months and they love
> it. If anyone is interested in checking it out or maybe getting involved with
> further development please let me know. At the moment it only works with
> internet explorer. I put some screen shots up at
> www.dreamthis.com/tapestrycms/ let me know what you think!
>
> Thanks,
> Kris Rasmussen

Re: Getting rid of servername.com:8080/Stuff/app

Posted by sa...@women-at-work.org.
Thanks!

Actually I mean the line that will actually do the rewrite.

Posted by Cyril Godefroy <cy...@ecomposite.fr>.

Posted by phillip rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com>.
If you are using mod_proxy to proxy to your
application server, just set the ServerName directive
in your httpd file.
Mod_proxy will fix any http headers to use this
location.

Let me now if you have need of apache mod_proxy
assistance.

Posted by Alexander Wallace <aw...@rwmotloc.com>.

Posted by Cyril Godefroy <cy...@ecomposite.fr>.
This involves to steps: