Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by David Li <li...@apache.org> on 2022/08/31 23:51:07 UTC

[VOTE] Substrait for Flight SQL

Hello,

I am proposing to extend the Flight SQL specification with the following features:

- Support for queries using Substrait [1]
- Explicit transaction RPCs
- Explicit cancellation of distributed queries

The proposal was discussed previously in [2]. The new Protobuf definitions, an implementation for C++ and Java, and integration tests, are available at [3] with some further discussion.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 : Accept the proposal
[ ]  0 : No opinion
[ ] -1 : Do not accept this proposal because...

[1]: https://substrait.io/
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/l6j0nc43y7czs2m4kpzrckmrtgr9qs9z
[3]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/13492

Re: [VOTE] Substrait for Flight SQL

Posted by James Henderson <jm...@juxt.pro>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
James Henderson
XTDB Development Manager at JUXT

Email jms@juxt.pro
Website https://juxt.pro

[image: photo]

Re: [VOTE] Substrait for Flight SQL

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 9:49 PM Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022, 5:15 PM Larry White <lj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 (non-binding)
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 7:55 PM Vinicius Fraga <sx...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (non-binding)

> > following

> tests,
> > > are

> https://lists.apache.org/thread/l6j0nc43y7czs2m4kpzrckmrtgr9qs9z

--

*James Duong*
Lead Software Developer

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.  Thank you.

Re: [VOTE] Substrait for Flight SQL

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Larry White <lj...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Vinicius Fraga <sx...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Gavin Ray <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hooray!

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
My vote continues to be +1

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Gavin Ray <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Non-binding votes are always welcome and encouraged! Was just trying to make sure we have the minimum 3 binding votes here but it turns out I can't count and I make three.

Posted by Gavin Ray <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Topol <ma...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
My vote: +1 (binding)

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
We could add a new type code to the union. Presumably consumers would just error on or ignore such values (the libraries just hand the Arrow array to the application, so it's up to the application what to do with an unknown type code). (And for a new consumer talking to an old server, the new type code would just never come up, so the only issue would be if it strictly validates the returned schema.)

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Thanks Antoine!

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.