Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Rudenko, Artur" <Ar...@verint.com> on 2020/02/12 19:47:52 UTC

Possible performance bug - JSON facet - numBuckets:true

Hello everyone,
I'm am currently investigating a performance issue in our environment and it looks like we found a performance bug.
Our environment:
20M large PARENT documents and 800M nested small CHILD documents.
The system inserts about 400K PARENT documents and 16M CHILD documents per day. (Currently we stopped the calls insertion to investigate the performance issue)
This is a solr cloud 8.3 environment with 7 servers (64 VCPU 128 GB RAM each, 24GB allocated to Solr) with single collection (32 shards and replication factor 2).

The below query runs in about 14-16 seconds (we have to use limit:-1 due to a business case - cardinality is 1K values).

fq=channel:345133
&fq=content_type:PARENT
&fq=Meta_is_organizationIds:(344996998 344594999 345000001.... total of int 562 values)
&q=*:*
&json.facet={
                "Chart_01_Bins":{
                                                type:terms,
                                                field:groupIds,
                                                mincount:1,
                                                limit:-1,
                                                numBuckets:true,
                                                missing:false,
                                                refine:true,
                                                facet:{
                                                                min_score_avg:"avg(min_score)",
                                                                max_score_avg:"avg(max_score)",
                                                                avg_score_avg:"avg(avg_score)"
                                                }
                },
                "Chart_01_FIELD_NOT_EXISTS":{
                                type:query,
                                q:"-groupIds:[* TO *]",
                                facet:{
                                                min_score_avg:"avg(min_score)",
                                                max_score_avg:"avg(max_score)",
                                                avg_score_avg:"avg(avg_score)"
                                }
                }
}
&rows=0

Also, when the facet is simplified, it takes about 4-6 seconds

fq=channel:345133
&fq=content_type:PARENT
&fq=Meta_is_organizationIds:(344996998 344594999 345000001.... total of int 562 values)
&q=*:*
&json.facet={
                "Chart_01_Bins":{
                                type:terms,
                                field:groupIds,
                                mincount:1,
                                limit:-1,
                                numBuckets:true,
                                missing:false,
                                refine:true
                }
}
&rows=0

Schema relevant fields:

<fieldType name="pfloat" class="solr.FloatPointField" docValues="true"/>
<fieldType name="pint" class="solr.IntPointField" docValues="true"/>

<!-- Currently only 1 value, in the future we expect to have about 25 different values -->
<field name="channel" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true" required="true" multiValued="false" />

<!-- 2 Possible values (PARENT\CHILD) -->
<field name="content_type" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true" required="true" multiValued="false" />

<!-- Cardinality of 1K values, document may have 0 to all possible values -->
<field name="groupIds" type="pint" indexed="true" stored="true" required="false" multiValued="true" />

<!-- Float value between -2 to 2, all documents have this field (applied for the below 3 fields) -->
<field name="min_score" type="pfloat" indexed="true" stored="true" required="false" multiValued="false" />
<field name="avg_score" type="pfloat" indexed="true" stored="true" required="false" multiValued="false" />
<field name="max_score" type="pfloat" indexed="true" stored="true" required="false" multiValued="false" />

<!-- Cardinality with about few thousands values, currently only 1 dynamic field exists with this prefix, document may have 1 to all possible values -->
<dynamicField name="Meta_is_*" type="pint" indexed="true" stored="true" multiValued="true" />

I noticed that when we set numBuckets:false, the result returns faster (1.5-3.5 seconds less) - that sounds like a performance bug:
The limit is -1, which means all bucks, so adding about significant time to the overall time just to get number of buckets when we will get all of them anyway doesn't seems to be right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Artur Rudenko

This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this message or any information contained in this message. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this e-mail.

RE: Possible performance bug - JSON facet - numBuckets:true

Posted by "Rudenko, Artur" <Ar...@verint.com>.
Update:

I started working on a fix to this issue and I found that the result for "numBuckets" in the original implementation is not accurate:

Query using my fix for limit -1:

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "zkConnected":true,
    "status":0,
    "QTime":31,
    "params":{
      "q":"*:*",
      "json.facet":"{\"Chart_01_Bins\":{type:terms, field:date, mincount:1, limit:-1, numBuckets:true, missing:false, refine:true }}",
      "rows":"0"}},
  "response":{"numFound":170500,"start":0,"maxScore":1.0,"docs":[]
  },
  "facets":{
    "count":170500,
    "Chart_01":{
      "numBuckets":2660,
      "buckets":[{
          "val":"2019-01-16T15:17:03Z",
          "count":749},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-23T21:46:44Z",
          "count":742},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-04T11:06:22Z",
          "count":603},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-08T01:08:58Z",
          "count":484},
 .
 .
 .
 .
        {
          "val":"2019-01-26T06:30:33Z",
          "count":3}]}}}

Query with high limit that should include all buckets, based on current solr implementation:
{
  "responseHeader":{
    "zkConnected":true,
    "status":0,
    "QTime":29,
    "params":{
      "q":"*:*",
      "json.facet":"{\"Chart_01_Bins\":{type:terms, field:date, mincount:1, limit:5000, numBuckets:true, missing:false, refine:true }}",
      "rows":"0"}},
  "response":{"numFound":170500,"start":0,"maxScore":1.0,"docs":[]
  },
  "facets":{
    "count":170500,
    "Chart_01_Bins":{
      "numBuckets":2671,
      "buckets":[{
          "val":"2019-01-16T15:17:03Z",
          "count":749},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-23T21:46:44Z",
          "count":742},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-04T11:06:22Z",
          "count":603},
        {
          "val":"2019-01-08T01:08:58Z",
          "count":484},
 .
 .
 .
 .
          "val":"2019-01-26T06:30:33Z",
          "count":3}]}}}

There is 2660 buckets (which is the result of my fix) while the original solr implementation claims there are 2671 buckets (11 more)
The result of both query were compared with comparing tool and except of QTime, different limit value and numbuckets value all were the same (I decided not to pace all the buckets response but all were the same = 2660 and not 2671).
I also could not find in the docs that "numbuckets" is an estimation. For low cardinality values, the result was accurate.

Is this the expected behavior?

Artur Rudenko

Perhaps, we can amend doc mentioning this effect. In long term it can be optimized by adding a proper condition. Both patches are welcome.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.