Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Stephen Watt <sw...@redhat.com> on 2013/05/24 01:52:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Hi Folks

Hadoop's pluggable filesystem architecture supports the ability to enable an alternate filesystem for use with Hadoop by writing a plugin for it. We now have several alternate filesystems that have Hadoop FileSystem plugins and because this isn't a very well understood topic, I've been working on a page on the project wiki to bring this all together - http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HCFS. At the same time, the Ambari project has been opening up Ambari to support any configured Hadoop FileSystem (as opposed to just HDFS) over at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-1817

My team (over at Red Hat) have been working on writing a Hadoop FileSystem plugin for the glusterfs filesystem and have been finding that some of the expected semantics of the operations within the Abstract FileSystem class are a little ambiguous. With that said, we've joined Steve Loughran in attempting to clarify these for both the Hadoop 1.0 and the Hadoop 2.0 FileSystem class over at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9371

It seems to me that once we had these semantics defined, it would be good for consistency of implementation if we could make sure they are well understood and properly implemented by the community of folks writing Hadoop FileSystem plugins. To that end, we might work to ensure that those semantics are tested within an exhaustive test framework that focuses on the abstract Hadoop FileSystem layer. Each FileSystem provider could run the tests to ensure their plugin implementation and behavior is consistent with the expectation. Perhaps a broader extension of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9258.

If folks are interested in these goals, I could host a workshop/discussion/hackday in Mountain View to get local people together (perhaps a Google Hangout for the remote folks) to keep the ball rolling on the semantics discussion and test creation. As a side note, I think this could also turn out be quite an effective means of introducing FileSystem vendors to the ASF and getting them contributing to these aspects of the project.

Regards
Steve Watt

Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Makes sense, Steve.
> There are a couple of guys here at WANdisco who will be interested in
> joining.

Bigtop will also be interested in participating. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Roman.

[DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
There are teams at Intel who will be interested as well.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense, Steve.
There are a couple of guys here at WANdisco who will be interested in
joining.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mb...@gopivotal.com>.

Hadoop FileSystem Validation Workshop/Meetup - Red Hat in Mountain View on June 25th

Posted by Stephen Watt <sw...@redhat.com>.
Hi Folks

For those of you interested, the day before the Hadoop Summit we have a face to face workshop/meetup on Hadoop FileSystem Validation at Red Hat in Mountain View on June 25th from 10am - 3pm (lunch provided).

I need to make sure you all get visitor passes, and also to avoid exceeding the room capacity, so please sign up here - http://hadoop-fs.eventbrite.com/

Regards
Steve Watt

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

That's correct, see HADOOP-6223 for the history.  However, per Andrew
I don't think it's realistic to expect people to migrate off
FileSystem for a while (I filed HADOOP-6446 well over three years
ago).

The unfortunate consequence of the earlier decision to have parallel
interfaces rather than transition one over time means people
effectively need to end up implementing multiple backends - one that
gets used by clients of FileSystem, and one for clients of
FileContext.  Implementing in only one place significantly limits
adoption of the feature or file system because they can't be
effectively adopted in practice unless they're available to old and
new clients  (for example, this is why symlinks are getting backported
to FileSystem from FileContext).

Thanks,
Eli

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Stephen Watt <sw...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sanjay Radia <sa...@hortonworks.com>.
I plan to attend.
A 9:30 time is a little better for me.

sanjay

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
The proposed time (9am PST Monday June 10th) is good for me.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Watt <sw...@redhat.com>.
Hi Folks

I am grateful for the interest and to get so many responses (interested parties that responded are on CC).

I like Steve Loughran's idea of having a few G+ hangouts first to get to some consensus on how to organize the work as well as hear his thoughts about leveraging the Hadoop FileSystem tests he's already developed for the SWIFT object store. I am also keen to present/discuss the work we've (Red Hat) done around our perception of the state of the art for filesystem semantics and their test coverage to validate if the community at least has a shared point of view, which I think would be a good starting point.

What is the protocol for organizing the logistics and collaborating? I am loathe to flood common-dev with "does this time work for you?" emails from the interested parties. Do we create a high level JIRA ticket and collaborate and post comments and G+ meetup times on that ? Another option might be the Wiki, I'd be happy to be responsible with tracking progress on https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HCFS/Progress until we are able to break initiatives down into more granular JIRA tickets.

After we've had a few G+ hangouts, for those that would like to meet face to face, I have also made an all day reservation for a meeting room that can hold up to 20 people at our Red Hat Office in Castro Street, Mountain View on Tuesday June 25th (the day before Hadoop Summit and a short drive away). We don't have to use the whole day, but it gives us some flexibility around the availability of interested parties. I was thinking something along the lines of 10am - 3pm. We are happy to cater lunch.

Regards
Steve Watt

> Hadoop's pluggable filesystem architecture supports the ability to enable
> an alternate filesystem for use with Hadoop by writing a plugin for it. We
> now have several alternate filesystems that have Hadoop FileSystem plugins
> and because this isn't a very well understood topic, I've been working on a
> page on the project wiki to bring this all together -
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HCFS. At the same time, the Ambari project
> has been opening up Ambari to support any configured Hadoop FileSystem (as
> opposed to just HDFS) over at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-1817
>
> My team (over at Red Hat) have been working on writing a Hadoop FileSystem
> plugin for the glusterfs filesystem and have been finding that some of the
> expected semantics of the operations within the Abstract FileSystem class
> are a little ambiguous. With that said, we've joined Steve Loughran in
> attempting to clarify these for both the Hadoop 1.0 and the Hadoop 2.0
> FileSystem class over at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9371
>
> It seems to me that once we had these semantics defined, it would be good
> for consistency of implementation if we could make sure they are well
> understood and properly implemented by the community of folks writing
> Hadoop FileSystem plugins. To that end, we might work to ensure that those
> semantics are tested within an exhaustive test framework that focuses on
> the abstract Hadoop FileSystem layer. Each FileSystem provider could run
> the tests to ensure their plugin implementation and behavior is consistent
> with the expectation. Perhaps a broader extension of
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9258.

I have a plan for starting those tests, pulling up the Swift ones when they
are checked in. Big tests that do scale, and that verify the assumptions
that MR, HBase &c are where we are weakest. The defacto definition of FS
sematics are the apps, and its them that currently find the problems (e.g
MAPREDUCE-5264)

> If folks are interested in these goals, I could host a
> workshop/discussion/hackday in Mountain View to get local people together
> (perhaps a Google Hangout for the remote folks) to keep the ball rolling on
> the semantics discussion and test creation. As a side note, I think this
> could also turn out be quite an effective means of introducing FileSystem
> vendors to the ASF and getting them contributing to these aspects of the
> project.

Can we start with some G+ hangouts to get to know each other and have some
broader participation (myself, the others working on Swift, people who have
done S3 (Tom, some of the amazon folk), etc...), Then when a workshop is
held, it's got some clearer objectives "how do we test this". I would want
the FS semantics to be locked down in some online discussions/JIRA rather
than come back after a night's sleep to discover it had be defined with
tests.

-steve

Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Brandon Li <br...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kun,

In case you are looking for the NFS support to HDFS,  this JIRA might
interest you: HDFS-4750.

Thanks,
Brandon Li

Posted by Kun Ling <lk...@gmail.com>.