Posted to dev@etch.apache.org by scott comer <sc...@cisco.com> on 2009/01/22 22:37:33 UTC

[discuss] release 1.0.2

here is a link to my original 1.0.2 release plan:

http://cwiki.apache.org/ETCH/release-plan-102.html

We've made good progress on finding and fixing bugs.

Bug 	ETCH-6 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-6> 	if free pool
exceeds maximum number of threads the exception thrown will kill the
connection
Bug 	ETCH-8 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-8> 	canceling
mailbox notification registration throws exception if not registered
Bug 	ETCH-11 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-11>
AlarmManager deadlocks during shutdown()
Bug 	ETCH-18 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-18> 	KeepAlive
throws exception while trying to shutdown connection
Bug 	ETCH-23 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-23> 	FreePool
has synchronization issues with quick back to back calls to Run
Bug 	ETCH-24 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-24> 	The
message direction is always "server" for the result_method messages in
the java-binding valuefactory
Bug 	ETCH-25 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-25>
DefaultDeliveryService ends call with mb.CloseDelivery() and it should
end it with mb.CloseRead()

We've also made a few improvements to the source and distribution.

Improvement 	ETCH-13 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-13>
Copy the rest of the example sources into the distribution
Improvement 	ETCH-17 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-17>
SessionListener needs to be more independent
Improvement 	ETCH-19 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-19>
Break out common tcp transport options so that they may be shared among
various transports.

These next items are not in the 1.0.2 bucket but patches are ready and
are voting to become so.

Bug 	ETCH-27 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-27> 	mixins
cause trouble when two or more mixed in files define a type with the
same name.
Bug 	ETCH-28 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-28> 	Examples
do not build due to outdated ant files.
Improvement 	ETCH-29 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-29>
Installing all Maven artifacts along with their sources.

These next items are currently in the 1.0.2 bucket but I want to move
them out. Java code has been committed to support etch-10, but is still
experimental in nature and not ready for prime time. A proper
implementation of etch-10 depends upon etch-20. There is also a
prototype of etch-15, but I do not want to delay what has essentially
become a bug fix release to wait for it.

Improvement 	ETCH-10 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-10>
runtimes cannot support a large number of connections
New Feature 	ETCH-14 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-14>
Design and provide example of using forrest to deploy etch documentation
New Feature 	ETCH-15 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-15>
design and implement a framework for interoperability testing, plus a
simple demonstration test
Improvement 	ETCH-16 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-16>
reinvigorate the xml format of the basic etch transport
Improvement 	ETCH-20 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-20>
need a more flexible buffering scheme to handle different transports
Task 	ETCH-21 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ETCH-21> 	make the
official build process work again

So, what do y'all think? Make 1.0.2 a primarily bug fixing release and
throw out the extra new features and improvements?

I will call a vote on monday if there is no substantial changes per
discussion.

scott out

Re: [discuss] release 1.0.2

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM, scott comer (sccomer)
<sc...@cisco.com> wrote:
> since nobody has objected, i'm gonna proceed with my evil plan.

Research shows that a majority of OSS developers love "Evil Plans" and
"World Domination Schemes"  ;-)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [discuss] release 1.0.2

Posted by "scott comer (sccomer)" <sc...@cisco.com>.

Re: [discuss] release 1.0.2

Posted by James Dixson <ja...@cisco.com>.
I think this is fine. I agree with the issues being cast out.

It is important to note then that 1.0.2-incubating will *not* have apache
package names to preserve compatibility with the current 1.0.x release in
the field.

--
James

--