Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by au...@gmail.com on 2009/10/19 20:20:48 UTC

[users@httpd] apache env vars - best practices

Hi all,

I've been setting custom env vars for Apache 1 of 2 ways;

1 - Changing the passwd file so Apache has a shell and loading a
custom .bashrc file.

2 - Using the SetEnv directive in my httpd.conf file.

I'm crazy about neither one as they both have limitations;

1 - I don't like giving Apache its own shell.

2 - The SetEnv directive only takes 2 args so if I have a var with
multiple values like a path, it won't work.

What's the cleanest way to set complex env vars for Apache?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: apache env vars - best practices

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I've been setting custom env vars for Apache 1 of 2 ways;
>>> What's the cleanest way to set complex env vars for Apache?
>>
>> Edit bin/envvars.
>
> Hi Dan
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've done a search and no were on my Centos box do I see bin/envvars.
>
> Its this because I have a distro'd installed version of APACHE vs from
> source?

In ubuntu (debian)

/etc/apache2/envvars

--
Norman Registered Linux user #461062 -Have you been to www.apache.org yet?-

[users@httpd] Re: apache env vars - best practices

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
aurfalien@gmail.com writes:

>>> I've been setting custom env vars for Apache 1 of 2 ways;
>>> What's the cleanest way to set complex env vars for Apache?
>>
>> Edit bin/envvars.
> I've done a search and no were on my Centos box do I see bin/envvars.
>
> Its this because I have a distro'd installed version of APACHE vs from
> source?

Could be.  Look in apachectl and see if it looks for an envvars file and
if so, where it looks for it.  If so, you might be able to just create
one there.

--
Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>

Re: [users@httpd] Re: apache env vars - best practices

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> I've done a search and no were on my Centos box do I see bin/envvars.
>
> Its this because I have a distro'd installed version of APACHE vs from
> source?

/etc/sysconfig/httpd  sourced by apachectl?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Re: apache env vars - best practices