Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/12/19 17:52:57 UTC

Patches as attachments rather than in line

Is anyone here not *easily* able to read a patch attached to a message?  I sometimes wonder if I should paste my patches into the message body despite the white space breakage that would happen.

- Julian

Re: Patches as attachments rather than in line

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Friday, December 19, 2003 5:52 PM +0000 Julian Foad
<ju...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Is anyone here not *easily* able to read a patch attached to a message?  I
> sometimes wonder if I should paste my patches into the message body despite
> the white space breakage that would happen.

If it's sent as application/octet-stream, there's no way I can easily read it.
If it's sent using a decent MIME type, then it's okay here.  But, some MUAs
(Outlook) usually only send attachments as octet-stream.  So, I think it's a
bad policy to advocate for everyone because of these broken mailers.  -- justin

Re: Patches as attachments rather than in line

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> Is anyone here not *easily* able to read a patch attached to a
> message?

The important thing is that you use a sane MIME type and
encoding.  All MIMEd patches should use a text/* MIME type and NO
ENCODING.  Quoted-unreadable is an abomination.

If i can't show -noshowproc | patch -s, i won't be happy.

> I sometimes wonder if I should paste my patches into the
> message body despite the white space breakage that would
> happen.

White space breakage?  If the editor you compose your messages
with can't insert an external file, it needs replacing.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Re: Patches as attachments rather than in line

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 05:52:57PM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> Is anyone here not *easily* able to read a patch attached to a message?  I
> sometimes wonder if I should paste my patches into the message body despite
> the white space breakage that would happen.

I can.  Ones that are sent as text/plain automatically get inlined for
me in mutt.  A couple days ago I posted how to do the same in mutt with
text/x-diff or for that matter any other text file of any mime-type that
gets attached.  I can't speak for what other mail readers allow or don't
allow.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken