Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Tobias Haupt <to...@exedio.com> on 2022/02/02 14:59:40 UTC

servlet api "BigBang"

We are using wicket for several projects and are piece by piece
migrating to wicket 9.
In all of these projects we use logback as logging adapter. Since
version 9.x wicket requires version 2.0.0.alpha[x] of slfj.
Logback provides releases starting with version 1.3.0-alpha compatible
with slfj 2.0.0.alpha. The Problem is that the new version is built
against the "new" servlet-api 5.0 only. There all the javax. namespaces
are renamed to jakarta. This makes logback unasable for a lot of
applications that still run in older Containers (Tomcat 9 etc.). The
people at logback are aware of that problem: see issue LOGBACK-1575.

Question: is there a hard requirement to update the dependency of wicket
to slfi to 2.0.0 especially as these releases are still tagged as alpha?
Wouldn't it be better for wicket to stay at 1.x (eg. 1.7.35) as long as
possible?

kind regards,
Tobias

Re: servlet api "BigBang"

Posted by Tobias Haupt <to...@exedio.com>.
Correction: since version 9.5.0, wicket requires version 2.0.0.alpha[x]
of slf4j. Wicket 9.4.0 required 1.7.25.

> We are using wicket for several projects and are piece by piece
> migrating to wicket 9.
> In all of these projects we use logback as logging adapter. Since
> version 9.x wicket requires version 2.0.0.alpha[x] of slfj.
> Logback provides releases starting with version 1.3.0-alpha compatible
> with slfj 2.0.0.alpha. The Problem is that the new version is built
> against the "new" servlet-api 5.0 only. There all the javax.
> namespaces are renamed to jakarta. This makes logback unasable for a
> lot of applications that still run in older Containers (Tomcat 9
> etc.). The people at logback are aware of that problem: see issue
> LOGBACK-1575.
>
> Question: is there a hard requirement to update the dependency of
> wicket to slfi to 2.0.0 especially as these releases are still tagged
> as alpha? Wouldn't it be better for wicket to stay at 1.x (eg. 1.7.35)
> as long as possible?
>
> kind regards,
> Tobias

Tobias Haupt
Software Engineer

Telefon +49 (351) 4108-142
Fax +49 (351) 4108-5142

tobias.haupt@exedio.com
www.exedio.com

exedio Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung mbH
Buchenstraße 16 B
01097 Dresden
Deutschland

Handelsregister: HRB 22109, Amtsgericht Dresden
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Geschäftsführer: Sven-Erik Bornscheuer, Lutz Kirchner, Falk Krause

Re: servlet api "BigBang"

Posted by Tobias Haupt <to...@exedio.com>.
Hi Martin,
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 4:59 PM Tobias Haupt <to...@exedio.com> wrote:
>
>> We are using wicket for several projects and are piece by piece
>> migrating to wicket 9.
>> In all of these projects we use logback as logging adapter. Since
>> version 9.x wicket requires version 2.0.0.alpha[x] of slfj.
>> Logback provides releases starting with version 1.3.0-alpha compatible
>> with slfj 2.0.0.alpha. The Problem is that the new version is built
>> against the "new" servlet-api 5.0 only. There all the javax. namespaces
>> are renamed to jakarta. This makes logback unasable for a lot of
>> applications that still run in older Containers (Tomcat 9 etc.). The
>> people at logback are aware of that problem: see issue LOGBACK-1575.
>>
>> Question: is there a hard requirement to update the dependency of wicket
>> to slfi to 2.0.0 especially as these releases are still tagged as alpha?
>> Wouldn't it be better for wicket to stay at 1.x (eg. 1.7.35) as long as
>> possible?
>>
> Wicket moved to 2.0.0-alpha because SLF4J 2.x is module-rized (JPMS) and
> Wicket too since 9.5.0.
> You can tell Maven to use 1.7.x in your application. The APIs are the same
> so it should work.

Good to know, that its compatible to 1.7.x and wicket is not using any
new api features. We will downgrade for the time beeing.

Re: servlet api "BigBang"

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Jon,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:10 PM Locke, Jonathan (Luo Shibo) <
jonathanl@telenav.com> wrote:

> If the community likes the idea, it would be possible to migrate Wicket to
> KivaKit logging (and status messaging).

Wicket uses just slf4j-api, the facade.
The applications decide which implementation to use: Logback, Log4j 1/2, ...
Moving from slf4j-api to Kivakit would break all applications.
The better way would be Kivakit to provide implementation of SLF4J APIs. I
am not sure whether this will somehow reduce Kivakit's logging capabilities
though.

Re: servlet api "BigBang"

Re: servlet api "BigBang"

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.