Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rebecca Young <Re...@amdocs.com> on 2009/09/28 18:08:38 UTC

Setting auto-props on windows server

I am trying to setup auto properties on a new svn repository on a
windows server.   Per the documentation, I found the server config file
in the 'ALL USERS' area: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Subversion\config, and have edited that as shown below.     No
properties, however, get set when a new file is added.   Just in case
putting the tsvn props at a file level, instead of dir level was the
problem, I did change the setting for "*.h" to omit the tsvn props, but
that did not help.    We did setup Visual SVN Server 1.7.3 and we use
the tortoise svn client, 1.6.5.    I thought for sure I'd find the
answer in the FAQ or past emails, but only saw the unix/linux questions,
so sorry if this is a re-post!

### Automatic properties are defined in the section 'auto-props'.

enable-auto-props = yes

### Set interactive-conflicts to 'no' to disable interactive

### Section for configuring automatic properties.

[auto-props]

### The format of the entries is:

###   file-name-pattern = propname[=value][;propname[=value]...]

*.c     =
svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmar
ker=80

*.cpp   =
svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmar
ker=80

*.java  =
svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmar
ker=80

*.h     = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 14:30, Rebecca Young <Re...@amdocs.com> wrote:

> Well, that explains it I guess!   Since the documentation kind of lumped unix and windows instructions together, I took the following to mean that server administrators could enforce this.   Thank you for clearing it up and offering your suggestions!
>
> DOC:   “In addition to the per-user configuration area, Subversion also recognizes the existence of a system-wide configuration area. This gives system administrators the ability to establish defaults for all users on a given machine….”

What happens in that case is that the first time a user uses
Subversion, the defaults in /etc/subversion will be copied to
~/.subversion

Subsequent changes to those system defaults will *not* be reflected in
the user's configuration.

Not sure if this maps to Windows at all (if so, I don't know where
that default would reside).

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 14:16, Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com> wrote:

> >I am trying to setup auto properties on a new svn repository on a windows server.   Per the documentation, I found the server config file in the ‘ALL >USERS’ area: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Subversion\config, and have edited that as shown below.     No properties, >however, get set when a new file is added.   Just in case putting the tsvn props at a file level, instead of dir level was the problem, I did change the >setting for “*.h” to omit the tsvn props, but that did not help.    We did setup Visual SVN Server 1.7.3 and we use the tortoise svn client, 1.6.5.    I >thought for sure I’d find the answer in the FAQ or past emails, but only saw the unix/linux questions, so sorry if this is a re-post!
>

> >### Automatic properties are defined in the section 'auto-props'.
>
> >enable-auto-props = yes
>
> >### Set interactive-conflicts to 'no' to disable interactive
>

> >### Section for configuring automatic properties.
>
> >[auto-props]
>
> >### The format of the entries is:
>
> >###   file-name-pattern = propname[=value][;propname[=value]...]
>
> >*.c     = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmarker=80
>
> >*.cpp   = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmarker=80
>
> >*.java  = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id;tsvn:logminsize=10;tsvn:logwidthmarker=80
>
> >*.h     = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id
>

> I'm pretty sure auto-props is a client slide configuration directive not server side.

You are correct, Bob. There is no way to set auto-props from the
server. One can enforce rules related to properties via a pre-commit
hook, but that's it.

I've created a default client config file & had my NetWare
administrator push it out to all users on login if there is a
%APPDATA%\subversion directory for that user.

RE: Setting auto-props on windows server

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.