Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Samya Maiti <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/05 12:59:20 UTC

Basic QA : Cassandra +Solr

Hi Team,

Please provide your I/P.

Is the data shored in Cassandra & Solr(documents) separately? If so how much extra space is required in disk?
If I want to run adhoc queries on any column of a table in cassandra, should I plan to index all the fields in solr or take some other approach?
Is creating secondary index directly on C* table a better approach than sold indexing for querying on few columns other than Primary key.

Regards,
Sam

Re: Basic QA : Cassandra +Solr

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Samya Maiti <sa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>    - Is the data shored in Cassandra & Solr(documents) separately? If so
>    how much extra space is required in disk?
>
> I don't know the answer to this, because built in Solr support is a
feature of DSE, a commercial product sold by Datastax and not officially
supported on the Apache Cassandra mailing list.

>    - If I want to run adhoc queries on any column of a table in
>    cassandra, should I plan to index all the fields in solr or take some other
>    approach?
>
> I'd probably do something like indexing if my queries were truly "adhoc"
and truly on "any column".

>    - Is creating secondary index directly on C* table a better approach
>    than sold indexing for querying on few columns other than Primary key.
>
> Cassandra secondary indexes are rarely the correct solution to a problem.
In rare cases (data set, query pattern, etc.) they might be appropriate for
querying a small number of columns in a specific way.

=Rob