Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/06/12 16:39:01 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: "Documentation of UserDir directive in 1.1b3 unclear" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)

not acked

From: visigoth@cs.cmu.edu
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Wed Jun 12  5:46:55 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Documentation of UserDir directive in 1.1b3 unclear" on SunOS 4.x

Submitter: visigoth@cs.cmu.edu
Operating system: SunOS 4.x, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.1b3
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
UserDir public_html     -> ~bar/public_html/one/two.html
UserDir /usr/web        -> /usr/web/bar/one/two.html

The following directives will send redirects to the client:

UserDir http://www.x.com/users   -> http//www.x.com/users/bar/one/two.html
UserDir http://www.x.com/*/y     -> http://www.x.com/y/one/two.html

The above descriptions are very unclear.  My expectation is that
the * character in the line gets replaced with the userid of the user
whose directory you are trying to access, but this does not appear to be
the case in the above examples.  In addition, the examples are neither
explained nor consistent.  I will look at the source to see what's
really going on, but I thought I ought to point it out.

John Prevost,
Carnegie Mellon SCS Facilities.
--

Backtrace: