Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/23 06:53:30 UTC

[phoenix] Should service interfaces extend Service?

Hi,

Currently the interface org.apache.avalon.phoenix.Service should be the base
interface of any service interfaces. However there is nothing in the kernel
that mandates this or raises an error when Services don't extend this
interface.

The question is - should they?

The original motivation behind requiring services extend the Service
interface was to enable easy identification for GUI assembler to be written.
However we can get around this through other methods, the most obvious of
which would be placing attributes in manifest (perhaps Avalon-Service: true)
or something.

So my question is should we require that services extend service. I can make
it required or maybe just sternly warn when Service interfaces are
non-compliant or we can deprecate the interface altogether.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [phoenix] Should service interfaces extend Service?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:15, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter
>
> >kool. So do we deprecate the Service interface aswell?
>
> Yup, delete in some weeks.

I will issue warnings now and when we change from alpha->beta we can remove
it completely. Sound good?

> Can I purge existing occurances of "extends
> Service" now ?

Go for it.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter

>kool. So do we deprecate the Service interface aswell?

Yup, delete in some weeks.  Can I purge existing occurances of "extends
Service" now ?

- PH

Re: [phoenix] Should service interfaces extend Service?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:25, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >So my question is should we require that services extend service. I can
> > make it required or maybe just sternly warn when Service interfaces are
> > non-compliant or we can deprecate the interface altogether.
>
> Change ... services no longer needing to extend Service :
>
> +1

kool. So do we deprecate the Service interface aswell?

> Would they still requite a member variable called ROLE ?

Naah - thats just a nice convention ;)

> This would be cool as it would allow us (me) to blockify third party
> appications more easily.  That is, provided they have seperated into
> interface/implementation.

woohoo.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>So my question is should we require that services extend service. I can make
>it required or maybe just sternly warn when Service interfaces are
>non-compliant or we can deprecate the interface altogether.

Change ... services no longer needing to extend Service :

+1

Would they still requite a member variable called ROLE ?

This would be cool as it would allow us (me) to blockify third party
appications more easily.  That is, provided they have seperated into
interface/implementation.

- Paul