Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com> on 2010/12/14 13:11:03 UTC

Re: New mentoring activities

Hi Ross,

I'm interested in for the Lenya project.

But I'm just a commiter and I ask myself if I can be a mentor for such a
program ?

For sure, I could be a "friendly face" ! :)

cced dev@lenya
++

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 15/12/2010 17:27, hareendra seneviratne wrote:
> Thank you very much for your detailed and accurate reply. I'm really
> encouraged.
>
> Certainly, I’d like to explore the OpenSE. Please do introduce me to a
> teaching assistant there.

Apologies for the slow response - it's been a busy time.

I will introduce you offlist to one of the OpenSE folk. Although it is
just coming into holiday season so don't expect much to happen until
January.

> The first question is what are your skills?
>

>    I do developments in my work place, but mostly ad-hoc coding. I need to
> improve my coding skills. - J2EE. I don't say I'm a     bullet  programmer,
> but with some guidance and mentoring I'm sure I'll be able to get there.

No need to worry about your skills - everyone starts somewhere (I'm no
rock star programmer, trust me).

The most important thing is to be able to work with people and seek out
solutions to your problems. That is, your mentors will certainly point
you in the right direction but you need to do your homework to figure
out the details. Mentors are not here to teach you to programme, they
are here to help you understand the project and the community.

All our Java projects are listed at
http://projects.apache.org/indexes/language.html#Java

There's an incomplete list of J2EE related projects at
http://projects.apache.org/indexes/category.html#javaee

Take a look through those projects and see if any look interesting.

> The second is what do you want to learn from an ASF community?
>

> I want to know how to contribute open source projects. I want to learn by
> doing.

Then you are a perfect candidate!

Ross

--
rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler

Re: New mentoring activities

Posted by hareendra seneviratne <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by hareendra seneviratne <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I recently graduated in MIS and willing to learn and contribute to the
community as a Software Engineer. From where can I start? What are the

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.