Posted to user@pig.apache.org by hyoung jun kim <ha...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/07 09:57:32 UTC

how many map tasks?

Hi all,
I read "pig_hadoopsummit.pdf" and tried it.
I made a 320MB file (visit) in dir1 and a 20MB file (page) in dir2.
And ran this script.

Visits= load '/dir1/visit as (user, url, time);
Visits= foreach Visits generate user, url, time;
Pages= load '/dir2/page' as (url, pagerank);
VP= join Visits by url, Pages by url;
Results = foreach UserVisits generate group, AVG(VP.pagerank) as avgpr;
store Results into '/data/users';

I expected 6 maps(320MB/64MB) + 1 map(20MB) tasks.
But Hadoop makes 2 map tasks and 1 reduce task.
Why hadoop made only 2 map tasks?

Test environment:
 - 5 hadoop cluster
 - hadoop 0.16.3
 - pig upated from svn repository on May.7

Re: how many map tasks?

Posted by hyoung jun kim <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. but I cheecked hadoop configuraion.
"dfs.block.size" value is 67108864. and I also checked input file's number
of blocks.
Input file has 6 blocks.

Re: how many map tasks?

Posted by Vitthal Gogate <go...@yahoo-inc.com>.