Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/12 15:58:23 UTC

Umbrella Projects WAS: Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:39, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> I have no problem with you proposing to bring in Nutch's overlap.  The fact is, the Board doesn't like subprojects anyway and we are likely headed for some consolidation/spinning out anyway (see the December Board Minutes).

In fact, I was waiting for this argument to be made...

The truth is, umbrella projects didn't go well and the board is only
watching over this, while the ASF membership thinks umbrellas are no
good.

And as everybody can see now, although there is a large overlap in
Lucene/Solr committers, people talk like there are two different
projects. This is wrong. There is only one project, named Lucene, with
one PMC, and one committership.

  Bernd

Re: Umbrella Projects

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> On 2010-03-12 16:24, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> That leaves Solr and Nutch.  The past vote has answered the question
>> for Solr.  I guess I'd encourage the Nutch community to have a
>> discussion on it.  There isn't much committer overlap there with
>> Lucene or Solr but there is some code overlap.  Personally, I think
>> the crawling/plugin stuff could spin out but the core
>> Lucene/analyzers stuff merits a review and a merge.  Again, that is
>> up to Nutch to decide.  Last I looked at Nutch they were moving to a
>> more modular architecture that focused on crawling and handed off the
>> other stuff to things like Solr and Tika.
>
> Correct. However, considering the scarceness of human resources we have in Nutch I don't think we want to initiate this separation now, unless we get kicked out ;)

Agreed.  I think we can start with Mahout.  It's not like it all has to happen at once.

-Grant

Re: Umbrella Projects

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey All,

I started a thread over in tika-dev@ to discuss TLP. I'll take that feedback after a few weeks and bring it to the larger community (and eventually PMC) to discuss/vote. Key phrase: after a few weeks.

I'm VOTE'd out and am going to get back to work for a while. Take care.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Umbrella Projects

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Re: Umbrella Projects

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:39, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I have no problem with you proposing to bring in Nutch's overlap.  The fact is, the Board doesn't like subprojects anyway and we are likely headed for some consolidation/spinning out anyway (see the December Board Minutes).
>
> In fact, I was waiting for this argument to be made...
>
> The truth is, umbrella projects didn't go well and the board is only
> watching over this, while the ASF membership thinks umbrellas are no
> good.
>
> And as everybody can see now, although there is a large overlap in
> Lucene/Solr committers, people talk like there are two different
> projects. This is wrong. There is only one project, named Lucene, with
> one PMC, and one committership.

I think that is where we are headed, but it isn't where we are right now (at least at the committership level).  The Board will likely be seeing a proposal for Mahout as a TLP next month (we are in the middle of a release cycle so we don't want any distractions at the moment).

I think Tika can stand on it's own, too, and the community there should have the discussion.   At the same time, I don't want to "kick them out", either, but I would encourage them to at least have the discussion.

The Ports of Lucene are a bit tricky in my mind.  Both of them are auto-generated for the most part, so they don't require a super amount of work to produce, but they don't really seem to be standalone either other than there isn't much committer overlap.  I personally think the status quo works really well there, but again, just my opinion.