Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/24 10:17:55 UTC

FYI Netbeans is borked on JDK 17 / JDK 18

Just an FYI in case it isn't already known, Netbeans is borked on JDK 17
/ JDK 18 in-dev builds. Usually Netbeans is really good with handling
in-dev releases but this time around things seemed to have went south.
The IDE can kinda sorta be fixed by installing the nb-javac plugin.

On Linux I was able to workaround the borked Netbeans state with
nb-javac which just causes preview features that are no longer in
preview to suddenly require the preview flag. Not a big deal for me. I
forgot the issues I ran into without it and I can't check since my Linux
distro is currently borked.

On Windows things are borked even with nb-javac. All package imports
claim that java.lang cannot be found in module or classpath despite
being able to clean, compile, and run all project just fine via Maven.
Editor code completion is also broken and probably more.

Without nb-javac(completely uninstalled) on Windows, Netbeans closes all
non-parent POM projects on startup and no right click menu comes up when
a right click is performed on a project. Might be more but I kinda gave
up at that point and reinstalled nb-javac.

Re: FYI Netbeans is borked on JDK 17 / JDK 18

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Some, yes. Though this is where I sign off on this thread and look forward
to continuing this discussion on dev.

Gj

Posted by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.