Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/18 11:29:40 UTC

Re: [DAS] Release distributions - PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK (Original posted on tuscany-dev)

Switching this to tuscany-users to solicit user community input.

I think I need some clarification of what it means to ship the samples
with the binary distribution. One of the key things a user is going to
want to do is to modify and rebuild the samples,  so how do we make
that easy for them? It's not very useful for the SDO binary
distribution to ship binary samples only.  Requiring the user to
download the full source distribution to get the sample source seems a
little clumsy.  I do think it would be good to simplify the set of
distribution files to a source and a binary distribution.

So I would propose that future changes to the SDO _binary_
distribution would include sample _source_. We could ship the sample
binaries in the binary distribution too,  and that would get round the
fact that we can't presuppose the development environment of a user.
So far SDO, in its sample distribution has gone for a lowest common
denominator approach of describing what must be,  in terms of
classpath etc, rather than "how to" that would require a
presupposition of the build environment, e.g. maven.

Perhaps the binary distributions should include
 - the sample source
 - binary samples ready to run
 - a generic description of how to build the samples
 - a maven pom file that rebuilds the samples, along with instruction
son how to get maven going
 - javadoc for the API

However, a significant concern I have is that if our builds stray
slightly from maven's archetypal project nature then the maven pom
files generally tend to become disproportionately complicated.

Kelvin.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I have updated the DAS distributions to work as proposed under revision
#539815, this should be aligned with the SCA and SDO proposed distributions,
the only difference being that, the samples on the binary distribution have
source code attached to the binary distributions, instead of having the
actual sample sources to build.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Comments in-line

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/18/07, kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the binary distributions should include
> - the sample source
> - binary samples ready to run
> - a generic description of how to build the samples
> - a maven pom file that rebuilds the samples, along with instruction
> son how to get maven going
> - javadoc for the API

+1

This is exactly what the Tuscany SCA 0.90 release looks like (it
additionally also includes Ant build scripts to build and run the samples).

For simplicity and consistency I think it would be really good if we can
make all the Tuscany sub-projects look like this.

   ...ant

Re: [DAS] Release distributions - PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK (Original posted on tuscany-dev)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Comments in-line

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.