Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Jones <dj...@ena.com> on 2017/10/21 15:23:31 UTC

Oracle Eloqua.com marketing emails

Anyone have any experience with eloqua.com marketing emails and handle
these with custom local rules?

Recently I have discovered questionable results for requests to
unsubscribe from these emails.  The emails come from well-known domains
using dedicated subdomains with this SPF record:

v=spf1 include:_netblocks.eloqua.com -all

Example envelope-from domains:
   marketing.verisign.com
   b2me.cisco.com
   engage.vmware.com

When the unsubscribe link is clicked, it takes you to a redirected page
on eloqua.com with the senders logo and a message "You have been
UNSUBSCRIBED from similar mailings."  If you click it a second time,
there is no indication that you have already been unsubscribed giving
zero confidence that the first request was honored.

I have unsubscribed some of my users and 2 weeks later they are still
getting emails from the same envelope-from subdomain.

I am considering creating a local rule to block them using the AskDNS
plugin based on the SPF record contents so I don't have to manually
create blacklist_from entries for each one I find.

--
David Jones

Re: Oracle Eloqua.com marketing emails

Posted by Michael Orlitzky <mi...@orlitzky.com>.
On 10/22/2017 09:31 AM, David Jones wrote:

> You hard-coded the IPs based on their current SPF record?  What if
> things change and they start sending out different servers/IPs?

If they add IPs, then either,

  a) I never know because we don't get spam from them -- great.
  b) We get spam from them, and I track down and block the new IPs.

If they release some of their IPs on the market, whoever buys them will
have to complain (our postmaster address is in the rejection message).

Re: Oracle Eloqua.com marketing emails

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 10/22/2017 08:03 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 10/21/2017 11:23 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> Anyone have any experience with eloqua.com marketing emails and handle
>> these with custom local rules?
>
> We blocked some of their space back in 2013 with no complaints, and
> thanks to their SPF record, just blocked a bunch more.

You hard-coded the IPs based on their current SPF record?  What if
things change and they start sending out different servers/IPs?  I was
interested in a way to use AskDNS to lookup the SPF record and then
match on the contents.  This could be useful for other senders in case I
needed to subtract some points for specific SPF records without going
all the way with a whitelist_auth entry.

Posted by Michael Orlitzky <mi...@orlitzky.com>.